ELEVEN

november 2nd, 1984

AVEN'S LEG BOUNCED, but not anxiously. Even Max had grown suspicious at the older girl's attempt at masking her undeniable excitement. Her smile was wide, the light flowing through the windscreen of her brother's car brightening the sight. Her cheeks glowed a radiant shade of dusty pink, whether that was due to her eagerness or the heat beating off the sun remained unknown. Both other occupants in the car caught on quickly, with Max forming more of a relevant idea within her mind then Billy. She suspected it to be in relation to the previous day, surrounding a familiar boy.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Billy scowled, the intense emotion of jealousy overpowering his thoughts. He wanted so desperately to feel such a deep emotion once more, but over the years, he'd given up trying.

Aven refused to let his negativity impact her mood as he directed the car swiftly into the parking lot of the school. "Nothing," she grinned, sending him a glance as he parked the car before letting herself out. She swung her bag over her shoulder before helping Max push the seat forward. "For you, Madam."

Max got out with a teasing roll of her eyes, before reluctantly mock bowing in the direction of her step-sister. "Thank you, mad moiselle," she laughed, trying her hardest at a French accent.

Aven placed a hand on her shoulder as she tried to overcome her laughter. "That was terrible," she snickered before using her other hand to point behind the redhead. "Better hurry. I think those stalkers are waiting for you."

Max turned around with furrowed brows, her expression instantly softening at the sight of the boys waiting patiently on the footpath. "Right," she mumbled beneath her breath, almost in confusion. Aven rubbed her shoulder once before letting her hand fall.

"I'll see you later. Have fun," she winked before turning around and walking towards her own school. Max sighed, watching her leave. She skated towards her friends after forcing herself to stop staring.