ᵗ ʰ ⁱ ʳ ᵗ ʸ ⁻ ᵗ ʰ ʳ ᵉ ᵉ

July 1st, 1985

July 1st, 1985

BILLY NEVER TURNED UP. AVEN would've waited in the Starcourt parking lot all night if it wasn't for Steve, who pulled her off the side of the curb and led her to his BMW with a trusting smile. She really was annoyed that her brother hadn't given her the time of day, and had broken his promise as if it meant nothing. However, unbeknownst to her, Aven was all Billy could think about whilst he internally battled the Mind Flayer. He could feel himself giving up, surrendering his body and soul to the interdimensional monster, but there was one thing keeping him alive, one person - Aven Hargrove.

Steve Harrington had driven the girl home that night, parking his car across the street as she stared over at the empty looking house. She knew Max wouldn't be there, because she'd visited the ice-creamery earlier and informed Aven of the exciting sleepover she and Eleven had planned. What she didn't know was that both Neil and Susan would be gone, and Billy too. She had the house to herself, but that wasn't something she was looking forward to.

Thankfully, much to her delight, Steve had offered to stay the night. He'd seen the girl tense up once they entered her run-down home, and noticed her fidgeting fingers as they walked through the eerily-silent, suburban house. He knew his house was empty too, and didn't like the idea of spending another night, alone, in the huge house he called home. That explained why they were cuddled up together, once asleep, in Aven's bedroom.

"I'm hungry," the girl murmured as she stared into Steve's eyes, her hands fiddling with his messy hair as she combed through its small knots.

"No," he whined as he pulled her closer, squeezing a giggle out of her as he hugged her tighter. "I'm comfortable."

"I never said you had to follow me," she justified as she tried to pull away, but he didn't budge. With one hand wrapped around her waist and the other around the back of her head, he somehow managed to gently keep her close to him without much force. It probably helped that Aven wasn't that strong in the slightest.

"You can't leave me here," he playfully cried as he started to dramatically sob, burying his head in her neck as she laughed.

"By all means, Steve, follow me. I'm getting breakfast, whether you like it or not," she whispered softly. With a groan, Steve ultimately let her go, slowly trailing after her towards the kitchen as he rubbed his eyes and stretched out his arms. "Bit sleepy there, Stevie?"

"Shut up, Aves," he mumbled through one of his yawns, falling into one of the seats at the counter as Aven shuffled through the limited food in the fridge. She pulled out a loaf of bread and turned around, facing a half-asleep Steve with a grin as she presented the food like a trophy.