no prospects

"Y/N, Y/N, look here!" people screamed as you ducked into the car. The flashes of light used to blind you so now you wore sunglasses, even at night. As soon as the door closed, you took them off and tapped the driver's shoulder. He nodded and took off, leaving the cameras and their holders in the rear view mirror.

You desperately needed a break so you arrived at home and changed, throwing on jeans and the first top you saw. You tore your contacts out of your eyes and breathed a sigh of relief as you felt the air hit your pupils. Grabbing your glasses, you walked into your garage and got into your old beat-up station wagon, needing three tries to start it up. Everyone told you this car had seen its last day but you refused, it was your baby.

As if on auto-pilot, you began to drive to your favorite bar, a classic college hang out turned low-key spot. You liked it there because you could sit in the back and be unseen. And today was a day you deeply needed the back booth to disappear in for a little. You loved your job and your fans but you needed normalcy too. Sometimes they forgot you were a normal person under all the layers. You forgot sometimes too, which is why you needed this.

However, as you walked in, your usual spot was taken by a man. You groaned and walked to the booth next to him, which had more light than you liked. You looked over and glared at him. Of course he didn't know that was your spot, it wasn't like you owned it. Nonetheless, you were annoyed.

He eventually stood up and walked to the bar, returning with two drinks. Maybe he was meeting someone? Instead, he put a drink down in front of you. You raised an eyebrow at his gesture. "Sorry, you looked like you needed something to boost your mood."

"Hmm, why is that?"

"You've been glaring at me for the past 20 minutes. Made me think I killed your cat or something."

You laughed at this, shaking your head and giving him a smile. "No, no, just having a day is all. Thank you for this," you said, picking up the drink.

"Would you like to join me? I'm assuming you frequent this spot often seeing as you have a running tab."

"How'd you find that fact out?"

"I asked him," he said pointing to Joe, the bartender, "what your favorite drink was. He handed me the Shirley temple and told me he'd just add this to your tab."

You nodded, sliding into the booth across from him. "I come here to escape sometimes," you said, offering an explanation.

"Escape? From what?"

You took a second, contemplating the way he spoke to you. He really didn't know. "Just life," you replied, trying to change the subject. Soon enough, the two of you were engrossed in a deep conversation about Victorian era London. It was one of your niche interests and he had a lot to say.

You felt someone tap your shoulder. You looked up to see Joe. "Hey, there's a large crowd coming in. I'd advise you to get out while you still can. I know you want to keep this place to yourself."

You nodded, smiling at him. "Thanks J," you said, handing him an envelope. "Here's the tab and then some."

You turned back to see the man in front of you looking at you in confusion. You have him a tight-lipped smile and stood up, grabbing your phone. "Well, it was nice meeting you," you said, turning around.

"Wait! What's your name?"

"Oh, I'm -"

You felt arms wrap around your midsection, jarring you from your thoughts. "Daydreaming again?" a voice asked, making you grin. You turned in his arms, giving him a soft kiss.