early bird

You walked into the office and sat down at your desk. It was directly across from Spencer Reid. He looked up and smiled at you softly before returning to his book. Of course he got to work before you. With his big brain and 187 IQ, he knew traffic patterns of every major city. So, knowing the fastest way to beat you to work was a piece of pie for him, and not the mathematical kind. Though, you wouldn't put it past him to have that memorized as well, with it being important in mathematics and engineering.

You had started working for the BAU two months ago. Everyone was really friendly and you felt very included. You got along with everyone. Everyone, except Dr. Spencer Reid. And it wasn't because he was rude or arrogant. It was because you still could not believe he was real. You were scared to embarrass yourself in front of him, to say the wrong thing.

You sighed, clearing your mind, and reached for the mound of paperwork at your desk, silently praying for a case so you wouldn't have to do it. You knew it was bad to wish for a case, because that meant someone would get hurt. But, at this point, you were desensitized by it all. Nothing could faze you.

Just as you opened the 3rd file, jotting down your notes and filing the report, you heard the clicking of heels that were eerily familiar. You looked up and saw Garcia walk it with a grim look on her face. A case.

Within a few minutes everyone was around the round table. Spencer reached for the file at the same time you did, his hand grazing yours. You retracted it quickly, darting your eyes down to the table. You eventually looked over at Spencer, his hands fidgeting and his cheeks slightly red. Was he flushed from what happened? Not possible.

"The women are being stabbed and there are messages left that say 'help me' in what appears to be lipstick," Garcia explained.

"He's remorseful," you muttered under your breath.

"Y/N's right. There's obvious remorse. It seems the unsub is also aware of their problem and wants someone to stop them," Spencer spoke, meeting your eyes before you looked away.

"There has to be a significance to the lipstick, it's the same at all the scenes," Emily commented.

"The MO seems familiar, it's a case that I remember reading about," Reid said, flipping through the file.

Your head shot up, knowing who he was referencing. "William Heirens, the Lipstick Killer in 1945," you replied, seeing everyone nod at your response.

"I feel like we've got a good foundation. Wheels up in 30," Hotch said as he stood up. Everyone filed out of the room, you standing up last. As you exited the door, Spencer appeared next to you.

"Good memory with the William Heirens case," he complimented causing you to meet his eyes. You gave him a soft smile and scurried away, picking up your bag and making your way out of the building.

You landed in Buffalo about 2 hours later, Hotch sending you, Morgan, and Reid to the station to develop a profile and JJ to handle the media and prep the officers. As you sat in the conference room, trying to piece together a profile by finding out the lipstick shade, your head began to hurt. You needed coffee, and you needed it now.

You stood up and walked out of the room towards the break room, hoping the pot of coffee was full. You were about to enter the room when you heard voices. You didn't mean to eavesdrop until you heard Spencer's voice. "Derek, I don't know why she hates me," he said softly.

"She doesn't hate you man," Derek reasoned.

"She's fine with everyone else. She jokes with JJ and Emily, she talks about cooking with Rossi, she and Garcia go shopping together, and she even flirts with you. But me? She can't even be bothered to look at me for longer than 30 seconds. I don't know what I did," he responded, sounding defeated. Your heart broke hearing him. You didn't hate him, not at all. You didn't want him to hate you. You didn't think that someone like him needed to be bothered with getting to know someone like you.

"She's probably intimidated by you Spencer. Your intelligence is scary to new people. Try being a little more human."

"I already thought of that Derek."

"So you forgetting the William Heirens fact, that was an act?"

"I have an eidetic memory, I don't forget anything I've ever read. I wanted her to know that she is smart too." You blushed, knowing you should stop listening but not wanting to. You willed yourself to return to the conference room, refocusing on the lipstick colors, with newfound energy.

"Reid, just be you," Morgan advised.

"But what if she doesn't like me? I'm weird. I slouch. My hair's too long, my tie is perpetually crooked," Spencer retorted.

Derek laughed and patted Reid's shoulder. "What's not to like? And your hair's fine. Just bring her a cup of coffee and talk to her, like you normally would."

A few minutes later Spencer walked into the conference room with two cups of coffee. He placed one down in front of you, you not noticing who it was. "Oh my god I love you. thank you thank you thank you I needed this," you began, looking up and freezing. Spencer smiled and took a sip of his coffee.

"Of course. Coffee and this job go hand in hand. I hope I made it the right way. 4 sugars and a splash of creamer right?"

You nodded and smiled, blushing lightly. "Did you really memorize everyone's coffee orders?" you asked with a grin. He nodded sheepishly.

"Eidetic memory makes it easy," he replied.

"Reid, I have a question," you said softly.

"You can call me Spencer, Y/N," he responded, making you smile.

"Ok, Spence, did you really not remember William Heirens' name earlier or was it because you knew I would know it?"

He gulped down his coffee and looked at you, thinking about his response. "I wanted you to say it."

"But why?"

"I hate being the smartest person in the room Y/N. I know you know your stuff," he answered, standing up.

"Thank you," you whispered, watching him grin.

"I have a question for you, Y/N," he said, walking closer and leaning on the table next to you. You tilted your head, confused about what he could possibly want to ask you. "Will you get coffee with me when we get back?"

You stood up, and kissed his cheek. "I'd be happy to. It's a date," you said, patting his chest lightly. He blushed bright red and grinned, touching his face.