Losing Recruits Fast

A picture of Amy

The next morning was rushed as we all needed to have breakfast and be down at the next shed by 6 am. As I walked I heard a noisy river getting closer and closer,

"There's a river up here," I whispered to Amy. She nodded and started to look for it. When we got to the shed we found the river. It ran along the edge of the orchard and someone was swimming in it. Someone with back muscles that rippled like the water itself. As the someone got out of the water I realised it was Matteo.

He shook his head, spraying water from his hair everywhere, "I thought you slowpokes would be down here already," he said in that sexy Italian accent of his.

"Stay on task dumbass!" I screamed inwardly.

Garcia threw him a towel and he dried himself. He started walking back toward the house but stopped when he noticed me, "You're Raven right?" He asked, I nodded, "You're funny," he smirked and then continued walking back to the house.

I shook my head as if trying to get him out of my head and turned to the task at hand.

"Alright," said the dark-skinned woman, "I didn't introduce myself, my name is Alice, I was once like you, only 20 years ago," she sighed, "We need brains as well as brawn." She quickly got back on task, "Each of you has to transport the items inside these boxes to the other side of the river, and if you get soaked... you might want to refuel the gas on your car because it'll be a long trip home," she smiled innocently, "take a box and go,"

I raced toward the boxes, taking one off the top. I then ran to a corner of the shed and opened it. Inside were 3 large water containers, rope and a stick. I scanned over the items, trying to figure out to transport them. I glanced at the river, at the now still water and had an idea. I picked up the first water container and went over to the river. I opened the container and emptied out all of the water. Then I did the same with the other two. I tied them together using the rope and then made sure they floated.

I slowly pushed off and got on top of the containers. They just managed to hold my weight and I pushed myself over to the other bank using the stick. Once I was across I stepped onto dry land and then untied the containers, "Done," I called.

"That's a new record!" Garcia gasped. I smiled proudly as the others started to do what I did. The first person out was Marcos brother as he fell into the water. He was taken back to the house. A few other people splashed into the water but Amy, Marco and I were the first ones over. When we finished there were 16 of us at the bank.

"That was easy," Alice sighed, "we need to get your numbers down to 12 by the end of the day," we continued walking through the orchard and came across a third shed. "There are 14 golden apples hidden in these trees." Alice announced, "you have to find it within 3 minutes, the clue is: where green meets red and splashes into yellow, go!"

Most of the recruits ran off in different directions but I thought about the clue first.

"Where green meets red and splashes into yellow?" I repeated, "splashes?" Something clicked and I ran back toward the river. "Red, yellow, green," I repeated over and over as I ran alongside the river. On my left there were red apple trees on the right there were green apple trees. I kept running until I got to the end of the river.

I whipped my head back and forth trying to find a yellow apple tree. I spotted it directly at the end of the river, meeting with the green and red. I ran over and began searching for a golden apple. The first yellow apple tree held a few golden apples and I grabbed one. I ran in the opposite direction to confuse everyone and tried to make my way back to the shed.