CHAPTER ONE

SHE burst into the room like a tornado wreaking havoc. My eyes shoot up towards the door at the stranger standing there panting as if she had just run a marathon. She lifts her shirt to wipe her face exposing the taut skin of her tan stomach. I don't mean to stare, but she pulled it up enough that I could see a little of her breast peeking out. I turn away and look back down at the book I was reading. It's balanced on my leg as I sit cross legged on the large queen size bed.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Are you Kat?"

I glance back up at her, finally seeing her face. She combs a hand through her soft hazelnut brown hair, and it falls in a perfect wave along her flushed cheek.

"Oh," I say. I realize that it's the girl I'll be rooming with this summer. "Your Anna."

"That's me. Sorry for the entrance. I swear there was a bee chasing me."

"I told Pat to stop leaving the front door open. Guess he'll never listen."

Her laughter fills the room and the sweet melodic sound makes my heart beat a little faster.

"Thank you for allowing me to crash with you. And I'm uh- sorry about your breakup."

My lungs deflate. Pat told her. This summer was supposed to be awesome. With one more year of college left we decided to spend the summer at our friend Sally's beach house. My boyfriend Oliver was supposed to come with me, but two days ago he told me it wasn't working between us. It was unexpected and I'm still in the heartbroken stage.

"Wow. Don't mind me, I can be a bit over the top."

"No. It's okay. I'm sorry it's only one bed, but I.."

She flops beside me on the bed, and grins. Resting her hand on top of my bare thigh, she squeezes. Her hands are smooth and warm. The mere touch causes me to shiver. I swallow hard trying to mask whatever the feeling is.

"One bed isn't a problem for me. Um- I like women by the way. Is that okay?" She checks her nails on her free hand, smiling as she flicks away the black polish.

Her hand grips tighter and I should be uncomfortable, but there's something calming about her touch.

"Of course it's okay. Pat already told me. He also said that you've been traveling the world."

She lays back with a dreamy look in her chocolate brown eyes. "Oh, it was the best time of my life. England, Ireland, Germany, and Japan. God Japan is so fucking cool. Like there was this one time a bunch of anime characters came marching down the street."

I laugh. "That's awesome, although probably a little scary too."

She laughs again and my heart skips a weird beat.

"It was like a horror movie. Ah. But it was so cool."

She rests her head against the wooden headboard and smiles.

"I don't know much about you though, only that you just had a breakup, and you're getting your degree in creative writing with Pat."

"That's me in a nutshell."

She releases her hand from my leg and the spot suddenly goes cold. There's a strange part of me that wants it back there. That's probably me being clingy, and needing comfort after my relationship went up in flames. I shake off the thought and glance back up at her.

The door bursts open again, this time it's Pat wheezing, and dragging two large black suitcases behind him.

"Ah, thanks my man."