The Bone Lord & The Mortuary

With the obol handed over, Layla went down into the depts... She didn't expect The Bone Lord to be a victim, but it wouldn't surprise her either.

There was one thing that came to mind about the game, though.

The Karnoffel Code.

She forgot about trying to make it in the game (for those wondering how to pull this trick off, it's Daus, Mantis God, Rat King, then Daus again when you're facing Leshy in Act One), but she should most likely ask The Bone Lord about it just in case the others try to avoid talking about it.

Her eyes widened...

"The ribcage is very different..."

Indeed. To give you a bit of what it looks like without putting too much effort and straining ourselves, take this cropped picture of a future character.

 To give you a bit of what it looks like without putting too much effort and straining ourselves, take this cropped picture of a future character

[Don't worry, you see this person sooner or later and pretend the pockets have gears painted on them.]

It was a bit unsettling even if she somewhat expected it and there was something that got her more than it should have.

She recognized the look...

Someone in the game wanted this guy dead... and this scared her badly...

While bitting her lower lip, she continued on her quest...

"Hello, Bone Lord," she said trying not to show fear. She's normally not afraid of him, but this was different... "How be ya?"

"It's been so long, my daughter," he replied.

"F-father?"

"Indeed. Do you like my new form, Poppy? I designed it myself."

What are the chances of this happening?!...

Layla shook her head.

"Father, what did you do!?"

"Excuse me?"

"My siblings are stuck in dis floppy disk as well as other folk! Dey blame ME fer somethin' I didn't even know was 'appenin' right under my nose! Why!?"

"It was for you, my dear. It was going to be for your 18th birthday. A game that you could interact with and fall in love with the characters. Except for ONE in particular..."

"Who? Who da fuck is it?! Why da fuck can't I enjoy a character specifically!?"

"Because I don't approve of him! I've erased his memory and sealed him in this floppy disk so you can't marry him!"

"Da answers why but not WHO! WHO IS IT!?"

"I'M NOT TELLING YOU WHO; JUST TAKE THESE AND LEAVE ALREADY!!!"

The three items appeared before Layla. The femur, the horn card, and the blue key. She grumbled as she took the things and left.

Even if it didn't go as planned, this opened a few doors.

Someone was put in this floppy disk to keep her away from them. Unless her father is being a dick with pronouns, it's a guy...

There are how many guys on the floppy disk not including her father...

Leshy... P03... Fluffy... uh...

There's Grimora, Scarletta, Tina, and Anjanette with Daughter being born in the game so she doesn't count. That leaves the rest of the game, except Woofell because of they/them pronouns, with guys unless the robots in P03's factory are girls for whatever reason...

That somewhat narrows it down...

As soon as she stepped forward in Grimora's, a text box appeared.

"Is everything okay?" Nova asked. "Were you talking to father?"

"I was... Thought I'd milk da bone head an' get more answers, but my plan backfired..."

"Father's the one who put us here..."

Layla's eyes widened. I mean, she kinda guessed, but for it to be true AND to have her siblings...

"We were the first," said Damian. "We've seen everyone arrive, but the Scrybes like Grimora don't remember a thing outside of this game..."

"Of course, I don't. I was made here. Just like you guys," said Grimora.

"Okay, den... What do ya renember besides game stuff?"

"Pardon?"

"Like... Do ya know what a penguin is an' looks like?"

"A pen... green?"

"I'll take dat as a no... Figured as much... What 'bout a mortuary? Ya know what dat be?"

"Um... I think so? It sounds familiar... now I recall a peculiar smell..."

"Enligh'en me."

"I only know what it is since Magnificus once did this to me, but I suddenly recall a strong scent of burning flesh. There was a lot of blood as well and I remember writing names and odd things on the body like bruises."

"Ya worked at a mortuary, den. Take in bodies, clean 'em out, get 'em nice fer da funerals, dat whole sha-bang."

"Oh, that sounds like so much fun!"
This is The Scrybe of The Dead we're talking about here...
"Wait, was there ever a loved one you lost if not your siblings, Layla?"

"My stepmother... I've only known her fer four years, but she was a better ma den my birth ma..."

"Did your stepmom have black and brown hair that matched her eyes? Um... Lips as pink as cotton candy, too? Oh! What about a pair of wings on her back shaped like a heart?"

"Dat's... oddly specific, Grimora..."

"But am I right?"

"Yeah... How did ya know?"

"So it WASN'T a dream! I knew I shouldn't have trusted him, but I do remember a little of the outside world! Colleen was a very beautiful lady, but it's a shame she was shot... Didn't look a day over 20 when she was... I think 40? It's been a while and like we've covered before, I don't remember the outside world..."

Tears ran through Layla's eyes. Not that any of us or even Layla could see, but her siblings were welling up with tears too.

"I'm glad you're remembering, Grimora," said Scarletta. "Are you willing to hear us out now?"

"Yes. I'm ready."

"I suppose I'll leave y'all to it. I got a bot dat I kept waitin' fer a while an' I'm sure his wires crossed if I keep 'im waitin' any longer. Take care, y'all."

With that, Layla left Grimora's island and it was time to face her boi...

"Pascal, here I come."

><><><

The story does not end here...

Word Count: 1000...