10

1 0

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

W I N T E R

W O N D E R L A N D

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

The storm had subsided by the early morning. Enough of the snow had thawed for us to go to the car and start it up.

"Thank god," I said. "I'm ready to get out of here."

"Wait," he said, before letting me slip into the drivers seat. "Nothing's going to change when we go back, right?"

"Why would they?"

"I don't know." Adam's face scrunched up. I offered a smile and cupped his cheek. "I was serious you know, about coming with you to L.A."

"I know." I dropped my hand and motioned for him to get in. "I don't think I'd mind a roommate."

"I hope that wouldn't be my designated title," he mumbled with displeasure.

I buckled myself up and leaned over the center console. "What title would you like?"

"Boyfriend and future husband." I opened my mouth to address the 'husband' part but he intercepted by grabbing at my cheeks. "I'm going to marry you. Thought of the scenario about a billion times."

Somehow the thought of Adam thinking of me as his wife made my body and heart swell. We might not be in a place for marriage now, but I was sure as shit that if I were to have a husband, it would be Adam.

"Fine by me."

Once we arrived back at the house, all the guests cars were gone. Adam and I landed on the front porch, awaiting my parents. My mom opened the door, now dressed in white fuzzy pajamas. She gave Adam and I a hug, rambling on about how worried she was.

"Thank you for taking care of her," Mom said to Adam.

"Always."

We both made an effort to step fully into the house but Mom waved her hands, forcing us to fall back. She pointed up at a mistletoe that sat discreetly above our heads.

"Rules are rules," Mom slyly said.

I looked at Adam for help but he seemed determined. "Rules are rules," Adam repeated. He leaned down, capturing my lips with one swift and drawn out kiss. "Merry Christmas, Winter."

"Merry Christmas, Adam."

The romantic trance got broken when Dad walked into view. "Did I just see Adam kissing my daughter?"

"Dad," I warily start. "It's a mistletoe kiss."

Adam stepped forwards, surprising me. Mom and Dad looked at him with their own shock as he stood straighter, almost as if he was prepared to give a speech. He wasn't going to...Oh, no.

"It's not just a mistletoe kiss, Sir. I love your daughter," Adam relaxingly stated. "I'll protect her with my life and I intend on marrying her in the future. There's nothing more I could ever ask for or ever want."

Mom had tears spring to her eyes. Dad really did have a soft spot for Adam so his hard demeanor crumbled fast. "You'll be good to her?" Dad questioned.

"Better," Adam answered.

Mom smiled before pinching his cheeks and wiping her nose. "I knew you'd grow a pair and ask her out eventually."

I stood, horrified, while my dad laughed. A blush spread across Adam's nose and cheeks. Not even in this moment of embarrassment did I feel an ounce of regret. I was finally complete.

Once Adam and I changed into spare clothing, we curled up in the comfort of my bed. His legs tangled with mine and my head resided on his chest. We looked at the television that had Frozen displayed.

"We're never going to miss a year again." I hummed into his chest.

"Never," Adam agreed, kissing the top of my head. "You're my eternity, Winter."

"Eternity is a pretty long time for just a boyfriend and girlfriend," I quipped.

"Then I guess husband and wife might not be that far in the future after all."

I beamed up at him. "I guess not."

I was truly living in my own Winter Wonderland.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

the end.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

authors note:

There will be an epilogue after this and maybe a few bonus chapters! But overall this story was a joy to write. I always enjoyed short stories and the holidays. This was a perfect combination. I cannot wait to do more! Stay tuned.

Lastly, I appreciate everyone and anyone who took the time to read Winter and Adam's story. Much love!