EIGHT

november 1st, 1984

THE MONSTER NEVER left Aven's head. Sitting on the top step to the front porch outside her house, the auburn-haired girl stared at the dead grass beneath her as she tried to wrap her head around the events displayed through the TV in her front living room at midnight. The dead living room. The red lightning. The mysterious goo. The monster. She shivered at the mental image that flashed through her mind.

Her red converses tapped against the rotting wood beneath her as she impatiently waited for her brother to show up. He was her and Max's ride to school, as usual, except the previous night, he'd never returned from the party. It wouldn't be a surprise to the Hargrove daughter if he never even showed up, yet still, she held faith. Otherwise, her and Max would be forced to walk to school. It wouldn't be a short journey on foot.

The engine to his car rumbled down the street. Aven's eyes flinched up, the sound of her step-sister rushing around the house being drowned out by the thunderous vehicle. Slowly, she peeled herself away from the steps, pressing a hand against the wood beside her to help push herself up. She brushed off her pants as he swiftly turned into their driveway, the music from the radio shaking the rickety house behind her. Aven let out a loose breath as her hands clenched into fists.

She was beyond furious. First, he spoke to her like a piece of rubbish he could just kick away on the sidewalk, and then he rocked up late without letting anyone know where he was. Unbeknownst to him, Aven had spent the entire night worrying furiously over his location. Was he safe? Was he hurt? She shouldn't have expected any less, she knew that, but she was his sister. She was trying to be a good one.

Billy didn't look at her as she walked over, a hand wrapped tightly around the bag swung over her shoulder. She tensed her jaw, watching him act oblivious. She sighed, letting the sound of anger float through the air, before she yanked open the passenger door.