19

tw! vomiting, early signs of mania

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓CHAPTER NINETEENBIRTHDAY SUPRISES┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
CHAPTER NINETEEN
BIRTHDAY SUPRISES
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

CRISTIAN thought a shower would make him feel better. It doesn't.

The second he changes into his sweatpants, a new wave nausea overcomes him like a hurricane. He bursts back into the bathroom and barely makes it to the toilet in time to spill his guts. All that comes out of his empty stomach is water and a few curses to Obie's name.

He must be louder than he thought he was, because there's a knock on his bathroom door, "Cristian, are you okay?"

Panic strikes CJ, as well as another gag into the toilet. This time, nothing comes out and he's left sitting on the floor as his stomach ruthlessly tries to rid itself of toxins— or rather adjust to the lack of toxins he's giving himself. Withdrawal is a bitch.

Without an answer, Farah opens the bathroom door and rushes to his side. Cristian sputters out a cough when he tries to say something to her. Farah's cold hands softly rub his back. He hates that he wants to lean into her cool touch. She may be his mother, and maybe she's seen worse from him, but he's embarrassed nonetheless.

When there's finally a moment of stillness, Farah dared to speak up, "Maybe you should stay home tonight."

"No," CJ shakes his head, shakily reaching up to the flush the toilet, "I have to be there for her. For Zoya. I told her I'd be there."

"Zoya will understand," Farah says, brushing away wet strands of hair away from his eyes, "Why are you throwing up? Are you sick?"

"I don't think so. I think—" CJ's brain struggles to catch up with his mouth and find a viable lie, "I think it's my medicine."

"It's still making you sick?" Not wanting to talk more than he has to, he resorts to merely nodding, "I should call your doctor then. Maybe you can try something else."

"No, i-it's fine," CJ rushes, grabbing her wrist before she could move a muscle, "I took some Aspirin this morning and I didn't eat or drink enough today. I'll be fine."

Farah sighs, "Cristian, you need to take better care of yourself, okay?"

"Okay." CJ agrees only to conciliate her.

Farah runs her hand through his curly hair and gives him a tight-lipped smile before leaving the room. CJ shakily stands up from the toilet and stumbles to the sink, swishing some of the water around in his mouth and brushing his teeth with trembling hands.