20

tw! talks about drug addiction and death, and the stigmatization of
drug addiction

tw! talks about drug addiction and death, and the stigmatization of drug addiction

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
CHAPTER TWENTY
FIRST STEPS
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

THE week following Zoya's birthday disaster is quickly set up to be a weird one.

Zoya told him she and Julien were on good terms again, but he didn't really believe it until he sees them interact at school. They practically run into each other's arms the moment they make eye contact. Much to Luna and Monet's annoyance, Julien tugs Zoya along to sit with them before class begins.

Not wanting to linger in the tension, CJ makes a graceful escape, making up a lie about needing to talk to Miss Keller before class. The sisters don't seem to mind him leaving, as they've already dived into a full blown conversation about their after-school plans.

As he walks into Constance Billard-St Jude's, Cristian tries to understand how Zoya could forgive her sister so quickly— but again, Cristian has never had siblings. He doesn't know what that dynamic is like. The closest thing he has to it is Chandler, but he'd rather throw himself in front of a car than call Chandler his brother. CJ considers taking a page out of Zoya's book and attempting to salvage his relationship with his step-brother, but he's too stubborn to go through with that.

He shrugs off all the concerns running about in his mind and beelines to his locker. On his way, one of the teachers, Mr. Caparros, wanders out of a classroom. CJ narrowly avoids bumping into him and sends him a nod, hoping that suffices as an apology. Mr. Caparros nods back and continues on his way as if nothing happened.

Cristian gets to his locker and thinks nothing of their fleeting interaction. He doesn't see Mr. Caparros often, as he doesn't take Classics and has no interest Greek or Roman subjects. But CJ's in the middle of getting out his English textbook when another familiar face pops out of the same exact classroom.

"Max?" He asks, intending to keep the question to himself, but the boy in question picks up on it.

"Oh, hey, Romeo." Max grins in the doorway, standing proudly. CJ casts a glance over his shoulder at Mr. Caparros's retreating figure, brown furrowed.

He closes his locker and walks over to Max, "Where have you been? I haven't seen you since, like, last week."

"Here and there. I've been everywhere, really. It's been a good time." Max waves the question off. CJ is frankly shocked he hasn't been suspended from how many absences he's had lately.

"I'm glad you're back, then," CJ furrows his brows as he speaks, trying to thoughtfully articulate his next words, "I've been wanting to talk to you about, you know, the whole play thing."