27

tw! hospitalization, morbid thoughts,
mentions of drug addiction

tw! hospitalization, morbid thoughts,mentions of drug addiction

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
SECOND CHANCE
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

WHEN CJ was little, he used to imagine punching the people he hated when he got angry. His imagination could get pretty violent on occasion, depending on exactly how angry he was.

Now, as an almost seventeen year old (he can hardly comprehend his birthday is in four days), he knows that coping mechanism isn't viable. That's why he was forced into therapy, to learn new ways to cope and be a functional human being. He's even given ways to help with his outbursts of emotions, but the later remains a problem.

What does "functional" mean, anyways? Who determines functionality? Who is it there for, in the end?

Hanan is saying something. Cristian isn't listening to her. Cristian's listening to the rants buzzing around his mind endlessly, dozens upon dozens of thoughts overlapping and vying for his minimal attention.

"Cristian?" He's snapped back into reality, meeting her slightly concerned eyes, "This may be a little blunt, but you look tired. How did you sleep last night?"

"I slept fine." He mumbles, crossing his arms as he averts his gaze to his blanket.

"You started Seroquel, right?" CJ nods, "It can cause drowsiness among other side effects. Do you think that's the case for you?"

"I don't know. Maybe." He shrugs, briefly flickering his sight to her as he internally battles his next words, "Does it cause, like, other sleep problems too?"

"What kind of problems?"

"Like..." He shifts in the chair, suddenly uncomfortable, "Like weird dreams, maybe?"

Hanan is quiet for a moment, "Did you have a weird dream last night, Cristian?"

He should tell her, that's what she's there for, after all. Hanan has nothing but help him, yet he decides then to keep it to himself. It's too much, it's too embarrassing, too pathetic and weird and stupid.

"No." He says with a shake of his head, lowering his gaze to the floor. "It's just a stupid question. Forget I asked."

Hanan knows when to not push, instead turning gears to a more positive topic: So, you're being discharged this afternoon. How do you feel about that?"

"I can't wait to get the hell out of here, if that's what you're asking." He responds honestly, folding his arms over his chest. She smiles faintly.