23

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓CHAPTER TWENTY-THREEDAY OF THE DEAD┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
DAY OF THE DEAD
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"THESE doctors are killing my mother!"

"Audrey, I can promise you that's not what they're doing."

"Really? Because the nurse didn't know her Tegaderm was loose until I pointed it out. And she's dehydrated and her blood pressure is low, and it's because of these horrible doctors—"

"You're in the best hospital in Manhattan. As a former patient there, I can vouch for them, okay? If you don't trust them, then trust me."

He hears a groan on the other end of his phone, "Fine, if you say so."

"I do, and I'm right," He chuckles, "Just try to rest a bit and relax, okay? I know that's easier said than done, but you can't help take care of your mother unless you take care of yourself first."

"I hate that you're right," Audrey sighs, "Aki just got here, so I'm gonna go get something to eat— relax, or whatever. I'll call you tomorrow?"

"I'll be waiting. Enjoy the hospital cuisine."

"Not funny." Audrey says before promptly hanging up. He can practically hear the scowl in her voice.

With a quiet laugh, CJ puts his phone away and turns around to face Zoya, who's leaned against a building as she scrolls through her phone, waiting for his call to end. Upon hearing his sudden silence, she looks up at him.

"Audrey?" She questions, although she knows full well, and tucks her phone back into the pocket of her hoodie.

"The second time today," CJ sighs, letting Zoya catch up to him before he begins walking down the sidewalk again, "She wasn't at school today again. I know it's her mother and she cares, but Audrey's really wearing herself down through all of this."

"Well, she's got you to help now." Zoya grins, only meaning well. It doesn't make him feel well, though.

"You say that like I'm such a great influence." He mumbles.

"Come on, you are," Zoya reassures him fruitlessly, "My dad hasn't even met you and he already likes you."

CJ sends her a smile, "You talk to your dad about me?"

"I mean, yeah," Zoya shrugs, eyes shifting around his face, "You're, like, my best friend and stuff. Of course I've talked about you before."