¸.·✩·.¸¸.·¯⍣✩ 2. 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘧𝘢𝘥𝘦 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺 ✩⍣¯·.¸¸.·✩·.¸

✩⍣¯·.¸¸.·✩·.¸

october 1, 1959

"well, here we are!" said audrey as she parked the car behind her and elaine's new apartment in liverpool. she looked over and smiled at her sister excitedly before opening her door and going to open the trunk, which was filled with their few belongings they had brought with. they had already hired a mover to bring some essentials like their beds and some other miscellaneous furniture that was waiting for them on the curb in front of the apartment.

elaine and audrey worked for hours bringing their stuff in, until eventually there was only one thing left: the couch.

"i don't understand why you had to bring this damned thing" audrey huffed, "it must weigh a ton! no wonder mum wanted to get rid of it."

the two girls struggled mercilessly to lift the couch, unable to get it up the set of stairs that led into the entrance of their apartment. it was beginning to get dark out, and they were both tuckered out from the long drive from their hometown just outside of london. elaine sprawled out on the couch that was now on the front lawn of the complex.

"i say we call it a night and just leave it here," she declared, yawning.

"lainey, are you nuts! what if it rains! we have to finish what we started!" audrey argued back.

"you move it then! i'm done. we don't need a couch to survive. i'll call the movers tomorrow to get it inside. i'll simply buy a new one with my scholarship money if something happens to it."

"lainey! you are not spending your scholarship money on a couch.... move it!" she stated, pulling elaine off of the couch and pushing it, straining her back.

"maybe we could knock on one of our new neighbor's doors and ask for some help," elaine said inquisitively while watching her sister struggle "there's no way we can get it up the outside stairs and the ones inside all alone"

audrey thought for a moment. "y'know, that isn't such a shoddy idea."

the girls trekked inside and decided to knock on the first door to the right, the apartment directly below theirs. it wouldn't hurt to be friendly with them as soon as possible, they decided, as they were trying to reduce the number of noise complaints they would get.

they waited a moment until a young woman, whom looked about their age, answered their door. the girls introduced themselves.

"hello, we hate to bother you, but we wanted to--, erm, formally introduce ourselves...." elaine began, nervously.

audrey interjected "we're your new neighbors! i'm audrey, and this is my sister, elaine."

the women shook both of their hands. "hello girls, nice to meet you. my name is cynthia. cynthia powell." they chatted a bit, and found out that cynthia was two years older and attending the art school as well.

"y'know, i hate to bring up the elephant in the room-- or should i say the couch in the front yard. i've been watchin' you girls for hours out there!" she giggled.

elaine and audrey looked at each other shocked, also laughing.

"yes, that sort-of was why we decided to introduce ourselves now. we were hoping for some assistance if you're feeling up for it?" elaine questioned.

"well, i'm not sure i would be much help alone," began cynthia "but i can ask my boyfriend."

the girls faces lit up. cynthia invited them inside. they sat on the couch and looked around the well decorated living room. it smelt of fresh baked goods and cinnamon. how homey, elaine noted. as they sat, they realized that they could faintly hear someone playing guitar. as cynthia entered the room, the music stopped and a man walked out. he was quite tall with slicked back "bad boy" hair. the girls smirked at each other-- they really don't make them like that back home, they thought.