¸.·✩·.¸¸.·¯⍣✩ 13. 𝘢 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 ✩⍣¯·.¸¸.·✩·.¸

✩⍣¯·.¸¸.·✩·.¸

july 30, 1960

elaine finished putting one last curl in her hair and scrambled to her bedroom, throwing on a plain outfit for her modeling session. shit, we're going to be late, she thought to herself, glancing at her watch. she pulled on her flats and threw a patterned headscarf on, protecting her fresh hair.

she grabbed her bag and tramped into the living room to collect her keys. she needed to pick up nora within the next fifteen minutes for their modeling session, unless they wanted to risk being late. as she approached the key hook next to the door, she realized her new mini's keys were missing.

"typical audrey!" she groaned, assuming her sister had taken her car for her weekend visit to holden in london. there was no prior discussion about this-- but audrey always had a habit of getting her way. elaine sighed, instead opting to grab the keys to the junker.

just as she turned to face the door, she noticed a note taped on the wall near their coat closet. she ripped it off the wall and read it.

lainey,

i owe you big time. the junker wasn't starting this morning when i tried to leave around 5am. i surprised holden with brunch reservations as an early gift, along with the surprise of me visiting him, of course. i had to get to london, ASAP. being left with no choice, i took your car.

i didn't have time to bring the junker into the shop but i left you some money to do so on my dresser.

i'll be gone until monday. i'll treat you to a nice dinner and some wine when i get back.

love you lots, i know you'll probably be mad (but that can't last forever, right?)

love,

your favorite sister

elaine frustratedly crumpled up the note and threw it into the living room. great, she thought, since the junker won't start, you leave it for me. typical.

she rushed outside and sat in the driver's seat prepared for the worst. she stuck the key into the ignition and turned it, praying for any type of miracle. after the motor overturning several times with no luck, she resorted to the next best idea she could come up with-- cynthia.

she knocked on the door impatiently, tapping her foot anxiously.

"good morning, elaine, what's got you up so early?"

"i hope i didn't wake you, cyn..." she began, "but my car won't start. i couldn't help but notice john's car in the back... is there any way he could give me a jump? i have cables..." she pleaded.

"no problem, love. i just need to get him up... he's quite the drama queen when i wake him sometimes. wait here..." she instructed, closing the door and leaving her in the hallway.

a few moments later, an obviously unhappy john burst through the door. "sometimes i wonder where you ladies would be without me..." he griped, walking to the parking lot, "first that damn couch, now cars. what's next? you need your rent paid?" he laughed, jokingly.

"that would be quite nice, actually john." responded elaine, not in a mood for john's teases. "i might need it if we aren't quick. i'm supposed to already be in manchester for a gig."

john carefully connected the cables to each car and started his vehicle, letting it run for a few minutes before elaine hopped in her car. she turned the key, miraculously starting the motor.