¸.·✩·.¸¸.·¯⍣✩ 23. 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 ✩⍣¯·.¸¸.·✩·.¸

✩⍣¯·.¸¸.·✩·.¸

november 9, 1960

elaine hiked down the block, making her daily walk from the bus stop to the house. this time was different, as she decided to invite her new friend from her night class, charles, to join her wine night with her and nora.

"do you think she'll like me?" inquired charles, a few steps behind elaine.

"of course! you brought the merlot, right? that's her favorite,"

charles nodded and pointed to his backpack. "do you guys do this every week? i wouldn't mind joining more,"

"not usually, but nora told me we have to celebrate a special 'wine wednesday' this week, not quite sure why, though, she's always got something," she laughed as she came to a stop, opening the gate for charles to enter. "you're always invited," she smirked with a wink.

she lead him inside the home and up the steps to their flat. "you didn't tell me you live in a bloody mansion lainey!" he marvelled the grand home from the entrance.

"correction, i rent the attic of a mansion," she turned her key, opening the door into a dark apartment.

"nora? i brought a friend, i hope that's alright..." she announced into the abyss. she flipped on the lightswitch next to the door.

"surprise!"

sitting on the couch in the middle of the living room sat cynthia and nora.

"oh my, cyn! i didn't know you were coming! this is the greatest surprise," she ran up to her, engulfing her in a hug.

"i was in town visiting some family, i couldn't leave without seeing my girls first!" she explained excitedly. "i know it was a bit last minute, but i was just up the way,"

elaine pulled away from cynthia, realizing that charles was standing awkwardly in the corner by himself. "everyone, this is my friend charles who is in my night class. he's an architect like myself, but much more talented," she joked. "you'll be seeing a lot more of him around now," she winked.

charles curtseyed, "don't sell yourself short, darling, we're in this together,"

nora and cynthia raised their eyebrows alarmingly.

"how long have you two been seeing each other?" asked cynthia bluntly, greeting him with a glass of wine. "i'm very protective over my elaine, i just want you to know that,"

he took the glass from her, looking over at elaine and laughing. "oh, sweetie, it was a joke. i'm not quite into women!"

elaine nodded, smiling cheesily.

"i hope that's cool with you guys, i just figured since elaine is so open-minded, her friends would be too," he cowered away.

"oh, dear, this is a sigh of relief for us!" laughed nora.

"although, i would marry him in a heartbeat, have you seen his style!" elaine showcased his purple silk shirt, perfectly tailored slacks and shiny loafers dramatically as he strutted around the room, sipping on his merlot.

after the laughs died down, the four sat around the coffee table. they caught up for a bit while sipping their wine before cynthia made a suggestion.

"you ladies need to pay a visit to liverpool soon! i'm driving myself mad being alone all the time, and john's band is back for the holidays. they've gotten incredible! you wouldn't believe it until you hear it, seriously."