TEN

november 1st, 1984

"ARE YOU SURE you can't just stay the night?" Steve asked from his car, his hand tight on the steering wheel. Aven was staring at her house from the road, nerves making her skin grow jittery.

Steve had almost forced her to stay at his house that night, due to the overwhelming concern he held for the girl. However, she refused. Her delaying the confrontation would only make it worse as the moments ticked by. Those moments were dire, nothing would make it better but only worse. She'd used the threat of driving his car herself, which ultimately concluded with Steve sighing before pulling her out of the seat and taking over. Reluctantly, he'd taken her straight back to the dangers of her home.

"Steve," Aven sighed. "You know I can't."

He watched her head fall, her eyes dropping from the sight of the daunting front door to her slightly shaking hands. His forehead creased with worry. "Look, I can-"

"Steve! I've done this before, okay? Multiple times. I'm fine. I'll be fine," she said slowly, looking him dead in the eye. His sight flicked between them, jaw still tense. "The longer I stay out here, the worse it'll get."

"Fine, but I'm walking you to the door."

He turned away, his hand reaching out to grab his door handle, but Aven quickly jumped forward and wrapped her fingers around his forearm to stop him. With wide eyes and a frown, he looked back at her. His hair fell over his forehead.

She hadn't meant to be so close. They're noses were practically touching and the shadow of his fluffy hair fell over her like a curtain. Aven bottled it all up. She refused to acknowledge how close their faces were, or how a single move forward could result in a passionate kiss, or how Steve's eyes kept flicking between her own before landing on her lips. He swallowed.