THIRTEEN

november 3rd, 1984

EERIE; MEANING STRANGE and frightening. To extend, seemingly not of earthly origin. It creates an invisible tension through the air, tightening the breath travelling down your throat. Continuous shivers squeeze beside your spine, slithering down the muscles hidden by the skin of your back. Cobwebs often form eerie patterns on the wall. Street lamps commonly create eerie red glows throughout the night sky. Uncanny, sinister, ghostly. It inspires superstitious fear that one cannot fathom to shake away. It stays, lurking in untouchable spaces. On the night of the third of November, year 1984, the woods around Dustin Henderson's house created an eerie atmosphere that wouldn't blow away.

The light wind caused the branches of the ancient trees to croak and groan as they swung through the air. The leaves brushed against one another, forming a frightening sound in the background. Fog had already started to cover the majority of the ground, the grass on Dustin's front lawn becoming slippery with dew. The sun was setting, albeit the light couldn't shake the notion of something sinister waiting for an appearance. It seemed that Aven was what that something was waiting for.

The girl wrapped her arms around her waist, tugging her thick jacket tighter around the upper half of her body in hopes of remaining warm. She let a breath pass through her lips, watching the cold wind twist it into a foggy cloud. She swallowed. Although her stomach alerted her of danger as she stopped on the front lawn of the Henderson household, her mind spoke otherwise. She was just baby-sitting. That was all she was doing - nothing that would bring a sense of fear.

Her eyes travelled over the length of the house, her lips quirking up at the sight of the pleasantly-designed building. In contrast to her own, the wood wasn't rotting, the glass was clean and spotless of cracks, the paint was intact, and the aura radiating off its exterior felt inviting and peaceful. She was just about to step forward, removing one of her arms from around her waist to hoist her bag further up her shoulder, when her sight fell to the ground around the skirting of the pavement path.