SIXTEEN

november 3rd, 1984

STEVE WALKED DOWN the front driveway, keys jingling in his hands. The wind tousled his hair, the singular curl falling over his face bouncing with each and every step. He sighed into the night. It was beautiful, it looked beautiful - the night before the disaster.

He quietly whistled to himself as he stepped down the staircase beside the brick wall. His footsteps, his voice, and the sound of his rattling keys were the only noises present in the late hours of the day. The trees didn't make a sound as their branches softly collided with one another in the gentle breeze. There were no cars driving down the street in front of the Henderson house. There wasn't a single person in sight, except for the teenager with the fluffy hair stepping away from the fading light by the front porch of a seemingly-regular house. The secrets occupying it weighed enough to crush the world whole.

Steve kicked a rock, his mind elsewhere. It was back in the house, only steps away from where he was slowly walking - extremely slowly. Almost like he was waiting for a reason to turn around. Almost like he was waiting for someone to reach out and take him back. Aven. Almost like he was waiting for Aven.

He didn't notice that he stopped humming, or stopped walking, or stopped throwing and catching his keys. He blankly stared out into the darkness as the porch light switched off behind him, the lack of movement confusing its technicalities. He frowned, features twisting in thought and inner retaliation. No. No.

The wind suddenly blew his hair, fanning it across his face. He let out a breath, shivering as his face contorted with confusion at the sudden drop in temperature. He looked down as he started to rub his arms in a way that generated heat, blinking, before everything changed. The world moved within a tick of a millisecond.

The ground wasn't cement, it was snow. He widened his eyes, looking up with utter awe and slight horror as his movements froze. "What the . . ." he muttered beneath his breath, beyond stunned. He was on a mountain. The mountain.