TWENTY THREE

november 4th, 1984

AS SOON AS Jonathan slammed his foot on the brake outside his completely-rearranged house, every occupant of his Ford LTD clambered out with worry. Aven helped Jonathan and Nancy get a strong hold on Will before helplessly watching them begin to run him up to the front door. She sighed. What was she doing there?

She leant back into the car and gently grabbed Joyce's hand, helping her out of the car. "Would you like me to get some water? Some food, maybe?"

Joyce forced a smile as she let go of the girl's hand, running her fingers up and down the sleeves of her shirt. "No thanks, sweetheart. I just need to be alone for a while to, you know, p-"

"You don't need to explain it. If anyone asks, I'll tell them to leave you alone," Aven assured the woman. Joyce tilted her head, shaking only slightly in the cool breeze of the daunting night. She blinked rapidly, letting a small gasp slip through her lips. Aven could only watch her nod for a final, hesitant time before walking into the house with her arms wrapped around her torso.

Mike spared Aven a glance as he hurriedly followed after everyone else. His mind was on fire, burning his endless tunnels of useless memory. Will. Will. That one boy was all he could think about, so all he could offer the girl he'd only just met standing in the darkness of the driveway was an acknowledging nod. That was enough for her. She smiled in return.

Aven watched the front door close. There it was again. That one, fatal pluck of her heart strings, showing how deeply alone she'd always be. In her old house, watching her mother leave. Watching the moon, alone, in the middle of the night. On top of the bus, watching the hungry monsters prowl closer. Watching Steve and Max and Dustin and Lucas disappear from sight as she drove up the hill, alone in the back of a car. Always, forever, Aven was alone.

But, then, now, how was she there? Her brother fell into her room after her mother had walked down the street. Max had jumped out of her window and laid beside her on the grass to watch the moon. Steve had crawled up the ladder and screamed her name, cradling her as the creatures scrambled away. She thought she was alone in the driveway, until a pair of headlights beamed down the road and lit up the night.