Chapter 6 - Trouble at Penthouse?

My days flew past me into the coldest winter

My days flew past me into the coldest winter. Rain and thunder roared over the glades and the valleys surrounding my neighbourhood and I appreciated every moment. Cloudy mornings were easier to wake up to. I wasn't assaulted by sunlight or the neighbour's unruly chirpiness while forced to stay active in the normal hours of the daytime.

Theia Alexandra's house was loud with new trinkets and bells she was buying or bringing out from her cupboards — alerted by my return home for the holidays. She'd ring them in the morning and burn some white sage to waltz around the corridors muttering to herself as if that alone was going to clear off my "bad spirits". I took it as calmly as I could. Acted as if I couldn't see her doing it and we stayed in blissful denial that we were rubbing each other the wrong way. It was too easy to pretend that not long before I went to university she was always on my case — telling me how wrong my existence was and how much bad luck I carried.

It didn't matter how kind I was, how much I did for her and the house that was crumbling around us. I learned to be less emotive until I had my own place and with that new power of independence I blossomed enough to just walk out of the room when she crossed me. It seems pathetic, even wrong to not answer back like I would with anyone else. It was just the easy way out.

Ari had healed up enough on her own, but once I intervened she was up and running again as if she hadn't learned a thing. I made her promise not to go chasing after vampires which she took great offence to but promised she would keep me updated on where she was, who she was with or who she was pretending to be for the day. I couldn't stop her from her usual antics so I warned her to not get caught doing something stupid. That I would not be fixing up her messes. She had waved me off as if I was being dramatic. There wasn't getting to that girl right now and she wasn't my main problem.

In this dreary month, I hadn't heard from Calix or the last members of the Mavros line, so I prepared for the possibility of being taken into court. What if his mother had convinced him to sue us? They have every right to. Not that I have anything they could take from us. The suspense of it all was too much and I didn't visit them to see if I could press the matter and beg for forgiveness. I was afraid of making any kind of wrong move that would inspire the worst outcome — not when Mrs Mavros was around.

'Look, Ari,' I said turning the stereo down as I drove towards the beaming lights of the city.

The mist was curling in thick silver tendrils across the road making this rotten night look eerie. It was such an awesome aesthetic that I would normally appreciate but tonight was not my night. Ari sat in the passenger seat in a cute torn mustard-coloured crop top and black pleather pants that look fresher and less worn out than mine. Her blue streak in her hair was bleached to pink and her caked face was staring excitedly at her phone. As far as she was concerned, the day I saw the Mavros' everything went well. I really believed that but now with no word, I would have to get us both prepared for what could come.

Of course, she was thrilled about this night out while I was freaking out carrying the burden of it all. I didn't have time to witness what Giannis' "boyz" night out looked like at club Penthouse, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's go back eight hours so I can figure out how the fuck I ended up agreeing to this outing in the first place.