Chapter 24 - Family Tension

The obnoxious afternoon light cascaded through all the undrawn curtains of my bedroom, they were aggressive red slashes against my eyelids and they weren't the only problem

The obnoxious afternoon light cascaded through all the undrawn curtains of my bedroom, they were aggressive red slashes against my eyelids and they weren't the only problem. I swore and covered my eyes from the blinding light as my hand smacked around the nightstand to find my phone. A guttural growl erupted beside me and my slowly waking body acknowledged the warm body curled into my back.

'Lycius,' I mumbled. He mumbled something incoherent back. 'Can you close the curtains for me?' Victory, I found my phone. Lycius mumbled again and groaned as he got up from the bed and closed the curtains of the window closest to the bed. I smirked at his backside in his black trunks. 'Nice butt.'

He turned around his eyes still closed but with a lazy smile on his face as he crept back into the bed. He pressed a kiss on my shoulder and then rolled away to get back to sleep. I chuckled then the phone vibrated violently in my hand as I'd forgotten what I'd woken up for in the first place.

Ugh, it was Calix.

'What?' I said.

'He's with you, isn't he?' Calix said accusatorily. I had to make a choice, a quick one that could have meant life or death. I was too tired to be smart about it.

'Yes, he's here.'

'Hand him the phone.'

I curled my naked body around Lycius' back rubbing my chest into him. He moaned a little. 'Don't press your boobs on my back and expect no repercussions.' I bit back the snicker, praying Calix hadn't heard and at the same time that he did as I pressed the phone to his ear. Lycius' whole body went rigid as he took a deep breath in.

'It's your wife,' I said.

With a scowl, he sat up to take the call. 'What's up?' my eyes grew heavy, but they widened just when Lycius' eyes bulged out from his skull. 'WHAT?' I sat up in fright. 'What do you mean she's here?'

'Who?' I mouthed. He looked away from me then hung up without a word to Calix and threw himself out of bed full of new anxious energy. 'What's wrong? Who's here?'

Lycius was already doing up his jeans. His lean body looked delicious under the sunlight. 'It's my mum, she's home.'

Dread gripped my chest. 'Shit.'

'Yeah,' he said. He gestured at me with his hands as if I was one of his werewolves. 'Um... Just stay here.'

I slowly shifted to the end of the bed as he forced a sock onto his foot then scrambled across the floor trying to find the other. Half his body slid underneath the bed. 'Lycius?'

'Mhm?'

'She does know I'm here, right?'

He was eerily quiet under there. 'Now she does.'

'What?!' I clambered around for a fresh pair of underpants, a nice silk black shirt and my long skirt again and put them on the end of my bed. 'Lycius! Why didn't you tell her? I thought a deal was made.'