Chapter 20 - A Field of Darkness

This chapter took an unexpected turn for me around the middle, but I really like it so go ahead and tell me your thoughts at the end.

After the long walk to the gate, the kiss fresh on my lips, I pried one gate open with a grunt and felt that electric humming bounce from the walls

After the long walk to the gate, the kiss fresh on my lips, I pried one gate open with a grunt and felt that electric humming bounce from the walls. Like lightning was threatening to strike me, almost as if the gate itself was indeed alive and in its way expressing how high-strung it was. If Calix were an object, he would be this electric with no wires or power supply, just the power to burn you. That was what I felt would happen if I antagonised someway, which was ridiculous, I already knew it was for the wolves not for people otherwise Arianna would have been fried.

The delivery girl, no older than nineteen stood outside her car with the takeaway bag in a shaky hand. Her dark almond-shaped eyes glistened, and she looked at me as if I were a ghost. She seemed to swallow her fear once her eyes were on the money and we made our exchange. I grinned; the food was still hot!

'Thank you,' I said. 'Pretty sure there's a tip in there for you.'

'You live here?' she said scandalously. Then she seemed to check herself and got embarrassed at her tone.

'No.' I laughed. 'My boss does.'

'Is it Mr Mavros?'

'No, his father's dead. Now, it's his son Lycius,' I said. She smirked down at her money. Perhaps my words proved that some rumours were just that and I wished I had paid more attention to them so I could disprove them. What was Giannis' advice when it came to women? Oh yeah. Deny, deny until it's not a lie. Or just make up a whole lot of lies.

That gave me an idea. 'He's not at all what I expected,' I whispered looking left and right. The girl followed my movements with her eyes and a wrinkled brow. 'Can I share something with you? It's gonna drive me nuts otherwise.'

'Um.' She looked into the passenger seat where another order was waiting, an internal battle was happening, and her curiosity won.

'Between you and me.' I tilted my head and she leaned in eagerly. 'This family, especially the men, Greek Gods. Oh, my Gods! His arse. Out of this world. Eyes a dreamy blue. You have no idea.'

'Really?' she said doubtfully.

'Oh yeah,' I said. 'I'm ready to mount him. Ready to worship his body.' She laughed nervously and back away to her car. 'All the rumours are just such deceptive stories. When I first arrived, I thought hm, bit scary, then I met him and oh my gods, so hot. Like just—' I pinched my fingers in from my mouth, then while giving a loud kiss, pulled my hand away rapidly while opening the palm. 'Delicious.'

'Uh huh, okay.' She let out a jittery laugh as she leapt back into her car to speed off. I cackled to myself.

Try and counter that John.