Chapter 22 - The Alpha Male vs A Werewolf

What else could I do but march to the manor? I burst through the front door and my night vision unveiled to endure the lights glaring at me from the chandeliers

What else could I do but march to the manor? I burst through the front door and my night vision unveiled to endure the lights glaring at me from the chandeliers. I hoped that Lycius was being smart with his reckless decision to handle Coco on his own. He had greater strength than I did and I would need to use what emotional strength I had to conquer the dread ahead. In the corridor, I dusted off the blades of grass stuck to my clothes and skin, I twitched when I heard Giannis' voice boom from the ballroom.

'Where is she?'

'You are trespassing. If you shout at me again, I will call the police,' Calix said.

'Giannis, calm down, it's a big house I'm sure she's coming,' Ari said. I stormed to the blindingly bright ballroom and caught Giannis pacing back and forth with Calix's eyes preying on him as he guarded the staircase. Arianna saw me, her body was ballooned in a big puffer coat making her head look comically smaller than the rest of her. She wilted with relief. 'You're here.'

'I am,' I said sternly eyeing the men. I held my hand out as she rushed over to me and held it tightly. Her eyes averted mine, so I glared back at Giannis who had finally stopped striding like a grouchy child. During this moment of pause, the room was so quiet and I took it as a comforting sign because I couldn't hear a rabid werewolf munching on Lycius' insides. That thought was hardly helpful now, not when another man looked too ready to gorge my flesh.

'What's going on?' I said.

'This man behaves as if he is your lover,' Calix said disappointedly. He pinched the air in front of him. 'I'm this close to believing it.'

Giannis scowled at that. 'What is going on here? Where were you just now?'

'I was wandering the grounds,' I said. 'I saw an owl,' I added and looked at Ari. She kept her eyes to the ground. 'Why is everyone so sombre? Everyone but John, who is angry?' I cocked my head to the side feigning confusion.

'I'm not angry,' he said, moving towards me. I gazed up at the balcony willing for Lycius to appear. My fear for him overpowered my discomfort with Giannis and Ari's quiet attitude and the brute noticed my attention stray to somewhere behind him. Giannis froze, looked over his shoulder then glared back at me. 'I'm concerned. I had the weirdest conversation with your mum.'

I didn't bother correcting him as I questioned cautiously, 'What did she tell you?'

'That something is going on here.' He did this thing with his mouth where it looked like he was close to a smile, but it was unkind and poisoned by his condescending tone. 'I don't know what but I'm going to find out.'

'She never complained to me about her issue with me living here.'

'She said you came over and verbally abused everyone. That you hit her,' he said raising his chin. His height was already intimating he didn't need to make himself taller.