6 - One Date

Alexis POV

"I'll be back soon, don't burn down the house. I need a place to live," I teased my friend Chloe as I prepared to head to the grocery store.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm just baking cookies. Oh, speaking of that, can you get some frosting from the store, please?" she requested.

"Sure, I'll be back. Take care," I replied, stepping out of the house. Since my car wasn't working, I decided to walk to the nearby grocery store.

Chloe and I had known each other since high school. She had been there for me during my parents' divorce, offering me a place to stay when things got tough. Speaking of my parents, my dad's infidelity had left a lasting impact on me. Trusting someone and getting into a relationship had become a challenge after being cheated on by my ex-best friend with whom I thought I would spend my life.

That's why when Will started showing interest in me, I resisted. Being an athlete, he fit the stereotype of jumping from girl to girl, and I didn't want to be just another conquest. However, deep down, I couldn't deny the attraction I felt towards him. It was a constant tug-of-war between my desire to protect myself and the possibility of something genuine with him.

As I walked, lost in my thoughts, I arrived at the store. Grabbing the frosting, I realized it was placed too high for me to reach. Frustration washed over me when suddenly a familiar voice interrupted my struggle.

"Let me help you with that, sweetheart," Will said, his arm brushing against my nose. The scent of his cologne enveloped me, making me feel unexpectedly drawn to him.

"Thanks," I muttered, turning to walk away. Before I could take another step, he caught my wrist and spun me around to face him. I sighed, realizing I couldn't escape his persistent pursuit.

"Yes, Will, can I help you?" I asked, my tone laced with both annoyance and curiosity.

"Actually, yes. Can I take you out on one date?" he asked, his determination evident in his eyes.

I shook my head, my resolve firm. "No...no you can't."

"And why is that Alexis?" He asked leaning in towards me.

"Because...I don't date." I said my voice wavering.

I turned to walk away from him, "Now, if you excuse me, I have to walk back home."

"Walk?" He questioned, surprised by my choice.

"Yes, walk. Not everyone can afford to have multiple cars. My car isn't working right now," I explained, as I met his soft brown eyes.

"I will drive you back to your place," he offered, his eyes filled with sincerity.

I hesitated for a moment before responding, "Yeah, no. But thanks for the offer."

"Alexis, it's 9:30 at night in Los Angeles. There's no way I'm letting you walk back to your house," he insisted, his protective nature shining through.

Reluctantly, I relented, knowing he had a point. "Fine, but only this once. It's not happening again."

"Okay, we'll see, won't we, sweetheart?" he replied, a hint of playfulness in his voice.

As we drove in silence, I couldn't help but steal glances at Will, noticing him doing the same before quickly returning his gaze to the road.

"Oh no, Chloe, what did you do?" I muttered worriedly, realizing something had gone wrong.

Calling Chloe, I received no response. Panic started to rise within me when suddenly Will spoke up.

"Where's your friend?" He asked an eyebrow raised.