~ Episode 2 ~

September 1912

September 1912.

Margaret wakes at her usual time, much earlier than her sisters. Margaret enjoyed the mornings and the calmness it brought to their chaotic world. The calmness before all things could go wrong.

News of the new heirs arrival had set everyone into different emotions in the house. Mary seemed stiff and annoyed, along with Violet. Edith and Sybil hardly cared as they were not to be affected by any of it. They were never going to inherit the estate either way. Margaret, meanwhile, was excited. She was excited that there was a new face at Downton, someone new to get along with.

Margaret sits down for breakfast alone while Carson stands along the wall, "Mr. Carson?"

"M'lady?"

"What do you know of this Matthew Crawley?" Margaret asks, adding sugar to her tea, "Is he a good gentleman?"

"I'm afraid I don't know much, m'lady," he replies, "Though I do hope he'll be good enough to run this estate."

She smiles, "Well, he'll do splendidly if you're here. Everything runs smoother with you, Mr. Carson."

Margaret can see a faint smile, "Very kind of you, m'lady."

Robert walks in to the room, "Good morning, my dear. Up bright and early as always."

"Good morning, Papa. It's much nicer. The others are still asleep."

He chuckles, "Why do you think I'm up this early?" She shakes her head, "Good morning, Carson."

"M'lord."

"Papa," Margaret asks, "Might it be a good idea for Mary and I to visit Mr. Crawley? Show him he has our support?"

He thinks, "I don't see why not. Might be a good idea. An excellent idea, Margaret."

"Perfect. Perhaps we'll go after we ride. Could you set that up, Carson?"

He nods, "Certainly, m'lady."

"And let Mary know."

"Of course."

———

"Why are we going?" Mary complains as they walk up to the Crawley House.

Margaret rolls her eyes, "We're going because Matthew is our father's heir. It's new for them. Might as well show our support."

"I don't see why we have to be kind to them," Mary replies, "They're taking our money."

"Your money," Margaret corrects, "It doesn't matter much to Edith, Sybil and I. You're the eldest. It's your money and estate we're talking about. I'm three minutes younger than you and yet you could inherit all. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to get to know the new heir."

Margaret walks off towards the door as Mary follows. Molesley opens the door and greets the twins, "Lady Mary, Lady Margaret."

"Molesley!" Margaret exclaims, happy to see him back, "Oh, how are you?"