~ Episode 2.3 ~

July 1917

July 1917.

Margaret stands beside Isobel and Edith as the staff prepare one of the rooms to be transformed into the convalescent home. Anna comes in with a bed frame, "Should we give them some more space between the beds?"

"Well," Edith says, "we could give them-"

"Not much," Isobel interrupts, "I'm determined to defend the library as a recreation room."

"Where are we to sit?" Cora asks.

"We can screen off the small library," Isobel replies.

"Is that all?"

"I suppose-" Edith starts.

Isobel interrupts again, "Or would could leave you the boudoir. I wanted to put the intermediaries in there, but we don't have to."

"How kind," Cora says, slightly annoyed.

Margaret and Edith let out a breath as Sybil comes in with Major Clarkson, "Why will we only have officers? Surely all wounded men need to convalesce."

"The hospital is for officers," Major Clarkson replies, "and the whole idea is to have a complementary convalescent home."

"Of course," Sybil agrees, "But I don't know if we can make that an absolute rule."

"If the world were logical, I would rather agree with you," Isobel tells her.

Violet comes in, "Which comes as no surprise."

"You would not, I imagine?" Isobel asks.

"You imagine right. What these men will need is rest and relaxation. Will that be achieved by mixing ranks and putting everyone on edge?"

Violet leaves with Carson following as everyone watches her go. Edith and Margaret both have the same thought on their mind: This is going to be harder than they thought.

———

Margaret sits beside Edith as the discussion of the convalescent home continues, "Who will be in charge?"

"Cousin Isobel thinks it will be her," Edith answers their mother.

"All I know is that she'll drive us mad before the end," Mary says. Margaret rolls her eyes.

"I'm going up to change," Cora says, exasperated.

Sybil looks to her mother, "I just want to finish this."

Cora looks horrified before she leaves. Margaret looks to her youngest sister, "Aren't you going to the hospital?"

"Not yet," Sybil replies, "I'm on a night shift. I'll walk down after dinner," she looks to Edith, "Please don't start lecturing me."

"I won't," she sighs, "The truth is, I envy you."

The sisters look at Edith. Sybil continues to make a bed, "Do you ever miss helping out on the Drakes' farm?"