~ Episode 3.2 ~

April 1920

April 1920.

Margaret walks out with her family, Matthew beside her as the sound of an engine dies down.

"What in God's name is this?"

"Well, I never!" Robert exclaims.

"Where did this come from?" Cora asks. Margaret goes forward to greet her sister.

"I ordered it in London, picked it up on the way back. It's an AC."

"Well, at least it's English," Robert admires.

"Welcome back, my darling," Cora kisses Mary cheek and Evelyn shakes hands with Robert and Matthew.

"How was the honeymoon?"

"My eyes have been opened."

"Don't I know it. Now come in!"

The family all congregate in the dining room later in the evening, Evelyn and Mary sharing tales from their honeymoon. Martha smiles, "How did you enjoy the south of France?"

"It was lovely," Mary replies, "but almost too hot, even now."

"I think it's such a shame they close things up during the summer," Martha says, "I love the sun."

"So we can see," Violet smiles.

Margaret and Robert share a look of annoyance while Mary replies, "You couldn't be in Cannes in summer, no one could bear it."

"I could."

"Just how long is she here for?" Violet asks Robert, trying her best to do it inconspicuously.

"Who knows?"

"No guest should be admitted without the date of their departure settled."

"You won't get an argument from me."

"Well," Margaret smiles at the happy couple, "you've received an awful lot of mail, Evelyn. We put it on the table in the hall for you."

"Thank you. And the twins, how are they?"

"Oh, they're just fine. Babbling away."

Mary looks to Isobel as everyone catches up, "What have you been up to?"

"As a matter of fact, I've found myself a new occupation, but I'm afraid Cousin Violet doesn't think it's quite appropriate."

"Can we talk about it afterwards?"

"Are there still forbidden subjects in 1920?" Martha asks, laughing, "I can't believe this."

"I speak of taste rather than law," Violet replies.

"Well, it's not my taste. What about you, Cora?"

"I agree with mama," Cora says, "Some subjects are not suitable for every ear."