~ Episode 3.7 ~

July 1920

July 1920.

Margaret sits down at breakfast beside her sister. Robert looks up from petting the dog at his second eldest, "How come you aren't like your mama or Mary? They never join us for breakfast."

Margaret smiles, "Why? Are you getting sick of me?"

"Of course not. You're just different is all."

"Papa, you've known me my entire life. I've never been like Mary. Or mama, for that matter," Robert nods in agreement. Edith takes the letter opener and reads the contents. Matthew looks over.

"Something nice?"

"The editor's written back, repeating his offer," Edith replies, "He asks if I'm ever in London."

"Why not?" Matthew shrugs, "You could see Rosamund and buy some new clothes."

"He only wants to persuade you to write for his horrible paper," Robert tells the blonde.

"Still," Edith says, "I think I will go. It seems rude not to, in a way, and I haven't been to London for ages. Excuse me."

Robert watches her go before turning his attention back to Matthew, "Please don't encourage her."

"Papa, why are you so against it?" Margaret asks, "It would be good for Edith to have a hobby. Frankly, there are times when you forget she exists. She wants a life."

"And I think it's a good idea," Matthew adds.

Robert stands up, "I gather you've trapped poor old Jarvis into a meeting."

"It won't take long," Matthew tells him, "But he is the agent, and there are things we must get started on if you agree."

"Well, I'm glad you still think my agreement has a part to play."

"Papa," Margaret sighs, watching him go. Tom follows her gaze before smiling.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather just cut and run, like me?" Margaret chuckles, picking up her cup.

"Tom, since Matthew and Papa seem to be having a day together, what would you say to bringing Sybil and the twins for a little walk around the grounds? Get some fresh air, the children can... do whatever they do."

"I'd like that."

"Good," she smiles, standing up, "I'll tell the nurse. Oh, and Matthew, remember, Papa has built this estate. Don't tune him out," she leaves the dining room and stops at the sight in front of her, "Mr. Bates," she smiles, walking over to him, "Oh, I didn't know you came back already."

"They release us at dawn, my lady."

"Oh, it's good to see you again. We've all rather missed you. Anna, especially. I'm afraid I must go, but it's wonderful to see you again."

"You as well, my lady."

———

"Have you given any more thought about leaving?" Margaret asks Tom, pushing the twins in their pram. Tom looks over and shrugs.