~ Episode 3.5 ~

May 1920

May 1920.

The Crawley sisters all congregate in Sybil's room as Doctor Clarkson joins them, examining her growing bump. He smiles, "The pain's have stopped. Nothing will happen yet."

    The sister joins their mother, walking Doctor Clarkson out, leaving the soon-to-be mother alone to rest. Matthew, Rober and Evelyn are talking with Tom and he straightens up, seeing the doctor.

    "Everything is fine," Doctor Clarkson assures him.

    "You mean it was a false alarm?" Robert asks.

    "Not exactly," Doctor Clarkson replies, "These early labor pains show that the womb is preparing itself for birth."

    Margaret struggles keeping a straight face at her father's expression. Cora smiles, "Dr. Clarkson, I'm afraid Lord Grantham doesn't enjoy medical detail."

    "Or at least that of his daughter," Margaret adds, standing beside her husband.

    "Yes," Cora nods, "The point is, can we all go back to bed?"

    "You can. And so can I."

    "I'll see you out," Mary smiles.

    Robert looks to the doctor, "Sir Philip Tapsell will be here tomorrow."

    "Of course," he nods. Margaret furrows her eyebrows, "If you think it advisable," Margaret smiles, walking past her room into the nursery. Matthew follows her. She picks up Emma who was crying before settling herself into a chair.

    She looks up, "When someone else is having a baby, it makes you want to see your own."

    "I understand that," Matthew smiles, sitting beside her. James was still asleep and left alone so as to not be woken up. Matthew tickles Emma, making her stop crying and start laughing. Margaret chuckles.

    "You have a magic touch," she looks over at him, "Do you know why papa has asked for Sir Philip to come? Doctor Clarkson is more than capable to deliver Sybil's child safely."

    "He's being a worried father," Matthew shrugs, "After all, your delivery was rather quick once it started. Doctor Clarkson was the only option

    Margaret sighs, "I suppose so. Let's go back to bed. I imagine this will be a long week."

———

Margaret listens to Matthew as they walk along the estate, "Quite a few of the cottages have been renovated."

    "Thanks to you."

    "Maybe a little thanks to me."

    "So modest," Margaret teases, "Go on."

    "But many of the farms have been left entirely to their own devices. Coulter hasn't farmed this properly for 20 years. He struggles to pay the rent, which is too low anyway. There's been no... investment."