~ Episode 3.4 ~

May 1920

May 1920.

Margaret sits in front of her mirror, putting on her earrings while Anna puts away her day dress, a disappointed look on her face. Matthew sits on the bed, waiting for his wife.

"I've got enough on my plate without going into every detail."

"Matthew, love, you're co-owner of the estate now. Unfortunately, that means you have to go into every detail."

"Not to challenge your father, surely?"

"You won't have to. But with the two of you as co-owners, that means you need to understand the estate just as much as Papa."

Matthew sighs and looks at Anna, "How is Bates?"

"I've not seen him for a while, sir."

"Why?" Margaret asks.

"I'm not quite sure, my lady. They've stopped all his visitors."

"Has he given you a reason?" Matthew asks, becoming more interested by this topic than that of the estate.

"Well, he's not written in quite some time now."

"And you don't know why?"

Anna shakes her head, "No, but I'm certain I will before too long," she smiles and excuses herself, moving on to the next sister. Margaret looks to her husband.

"Why on earth would they stop allowing Mr. Bates visitors? Surely Anna should be allowed. She is his wife."

"I don't entirely know. Though I imagine we'll figure it out. I'll find a way for Anna to visit him."

"You will?"

He nods, "Of course. Everyone deserves to see their spouse. No matter the circumstances," he kisses her cheek, "You ready?"

"For yet another dinner? I suppose so."

———

"Why don't you have breakfast in bed?" Evelyn asks Edith at breakfast one morning.

"Because I'm not married."

"Yes, but now that..."

"Now that the others are, what difference would it make?" Edith finishes.

"You know what I mean."

"I prefer to be up and about."

"Precisely," Margaret nods, "It's far too lonely in our room, eating by yourself. I'd much rather be out here, making conversation."

"Tennessee is going to ratify the 19th Amendment," Robert says, reading the paper.

"Meaning?" Matthew asks.

"All American women will have the vote," Robert explains.

"Which is more than they do here," Edith says.