~ Episode 2.8 ~

April 1919

April 1919.

Margaret and Matthew return to Yorkshire from their honeymoon. Margaret's mind is elsewhere as they step out of the car, finally back after nearly a month away in Scotland. Mary comes out to greet them, "Hello you two. I didn't think you'd be back so soon."

"Hello, Mary," Margaret smiles, kissing her twin on the cheek, "We decided to come back early. This influenza is dreadful."

"Yes, it is," Mary notices her sister's expression, "Margaret, is everything alright, my darling?"

"Of course. Is papa around by chance?"

"I believe he's in the library. Why, what's the matter?"

Margaret smiles, "Nothing that needs concern you," she looks to Matthew, "You'll be alright getting everything back to its place?"

He nods, "Of course. Go on."

Margaret runs off into the house and Mary turns to Matthew, "Whatever's the matter with her?"

"We heard some news that seems to have troubled her," Matthew sighs.

"Well, what was it?"

Matthew hesitates, "It's her news to share with you all. I'll let her do it. If you'll excuse me."

Margaret enters the library to find her father sitting at his desk. He turns around at the sound of the door opening, "Margaret! I didn't think you'd be back for another few weeks."

"We came back early," Margaret replies, kissing her father on the cheek, "The influenza is getting worse. We didn't want to risk it."

"That's a wise decision."

"Papa... there's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?" he asks, "You look troubled."

"Before we left for Scotland, we made a stop in London, to visit Joseph and Amelia."

"Oh, and how are they?"

"Just fine. They're getting married next month," she smiles, "But, while I was there, I happened to bump into Mr. Evelyn Napier."

"Oh, how is that old chap?" Robert asks, a smile coming to his face.

"He's doing well, as is his fiancé, Alice. Um, he was hoping they might visit in a week or so."

"I don't see why not. Why is that troubling you, my dear?"

She fidgets with her fingers, "Not only does he want to stay, but he wants to be married in Yorkshire. And it's troubling to me because... Mary has strong feelings toward him."

Robert nods, "Ah. And you think it would upset her?"

"Wouldn't it? The man she's engaged to and the man she may love under the same roof? Could you imagine the strain it would put on her?"