2

[THE INVITATION]

[THE INVITATION]

|REWRITTEN|

10 YEARS LATER

CARINA DORADA WAS LATE.

She ran past the many people of the village, stacks of fabric in her arms as she tried her best not to bump against more people.

The teen girl practically kicked the door open which earned her a scolding look from her mother.

"You're late Rina." She stated, her arms crossed as a smile tugged at her lips.

"No, I am one minute early." She grinned, setting the fabric onto the table to which her mother clapped her hands together in joy.

"Oh these will make fabulous dresses!" Rosa said, her hands picking up some of the fabric.

Rosa Dorada loved making dresses, so much so that she had her very own shop which was very popular in the village of Encanto.

"I'll be in my room Mamá!" Carina called out, making her way up the stairs before stopping at a picture frame of her Papá.

She smiled at the picture and continued making her way up.

A few years ago her father had sadly passed away, it was hard for her and her mother but they managed after a couple of years. It hit her mother the hardest and Carina knew that she still cried every night.

Carina opened the door to her room and huffed as she saw how messy it was, multiple dresses her mother had made her were laid on her bed whilst her dirty dresses were on the floor.

"Eh, I'll clean tomorrow." Carina shrugged, putting on her favourite white dress which had small golden details sewn onto it.

The brown haired girl looked out of her window, she huffed as she saw people her age outside having fun with their friends.

After the incident Carina isolated herself, many people were scared of the girl who had come back from the dead. She would always wear some sort of disguise when she went outside just so nobody recognised her.

Luckily for Carina, her powers helped with that.

Illusions were a tricky thing for Carina to master, her parents tried helping her as much as they could but in the end even they had no idea what to do to help her.

Throughout the years Carina had managed to gain control of her powers and used it to make people see her as someone else.

Carina didn't really need to disguise herself since nobody knew what she looked like, but she always set up an illusion just incase.

Suddenly Carina's door was slammed open, she yelped and held her hands out to the person who had just barged into her room.

"Woah! It's just me!" Mirabel panicked, holding up her hands in surrender.

Mirabel was the only Madrigal kid without a gift, Carina felt bad for her but Mirabel always shrugged it off as if it didn't bother her.

Mirabel was also the only Madrigal who knew of Carina's abilities. Over the years Mirabel was the only person who Carina would talk to, she liked her company and found it easy to be herself around Mirabel.

"Mirabel you can't just barge into my room like that!" Carina breathed out as Mirabel awkwardly laughed.

"How did you even get past my Mamá?" Carina questioned as Mirabel furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her head to the side in confusion.

"Whatever." Carina shook it off, her mother probably left to go to her store.

"Well, I have something for you." She smiled in excitement, pulling out a card from her bag and handing it over to Carina.

Carina's eyes grew wide as she saw the card, she looked up at Mirabel "Is this?" Mirabel only nodded hesitantly.

She stared down at the invitation to Antonio's gift ceremony, she hadn't been invited to the last ceremony which made her wonder why she was invited to this one.

"Thank you Mirabel but I can't-" Carina started but she was cut off by Mirabel who shook her head.

"Yes you can and you will come Carina." Mirabel sat down beside her friend who sighed.

"I'm just scared Mirabel, they can't know what I am." Carina stated, nervously scratching her hands.

"I promise I'll stay by your side the entire night! Besides Antonio misses you." She smiled in an attempt to get Carina to say yes.

Carina huffed at the thought of the youngest Madrigal who often joined Mirabel when visiting her.

"You're Abuela thinks I'm possessed." Carina stated.

Mirabel let out a short laugh at that. "We'll stay far away from her." She said finally.

"I don't know Mirabel." Carina trailed off.

Mirabel sighed in disappointment but didn't push "You know, Camilo still talks about you."

At the mention of his name Carina felt butterflies flutter in her stomach. Over the years she had spent nearly everyday thinking about him.

"He misses you Carina, like, a lot."

"I miss him too." Carina mumbled, biting the inside of her cheek as she looked back up at Mirabel who had a smile on her face.

"Fine I'll go." Carina decided to which Mirabel hugged her tightly.

"As yourself?" She asked curiously.

Carina thought for a moment.

What harm could it do?

"Yes, as myself."