5

I woke up and heard the birds chirping, looking to my left and seeing the side of the bed empty, the sheets thrown back and my door open.

"JJ?" I asked, sitting up.

He came around the corner in a yellow and black plaid button-up and dark blue jeans, walking into my room carrying a wooden tray with two plates of eggs, sausage, and orange juice on it.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." He greeted, sitting down across from my and putting the tray between us. "Thought I'd let you sleep. You were pretty tired."

I smiled at him. "Well, if this isn't the sweetest thing I've seen you do, I don't know what is."

He smiled and reached forward, brushing my tangled brown hair from my face. "You look adorable with bed head."

I laughed lightly and picked up a fork, eating my breakfast. "Where's the others?"

"Hanging out back." He replied, taking a sip of his drink before setting it down.

"Didn't B want to hang out with you today? He hasn't seen you in forever."

"He did before. But Sarah convinced him to let me be with you today after I told her something."

"What'd you tell her?" I asked, sipping my orange juice.

"I got a present for you. Know what today is?" He asked, setting his fork down on his now-empty plate.

I thought about it for a while before it suddenly clicked in my mind. "Our two month anniversary!"

"That's right. And I figured we'd have to make up for lost time."

"Please tell me you're not gonna start cooking me a 7-course meal." I joked.

He laughed and shook his head. "Not today, darling. But I do have something very special planned for today."

"What's that?" I asked, finishing my breakfast off.

I answer to that question, he pulled out a white envelope and handed it to me. "Up for another treasure hunt?"

I smiled and took the envelope from him. "You bet. Just let me get dressed, okay?"

"Okay"—he leans forward and kissed me—"I will be waiting at the finish line."

I watched him as he left with the tray, then got out of bed and closed the door; setting the envelope on my dresser and pulling open the drawers, grabbing a salmon pink t-shirt and light blue cut-off shorts before changing into them.

I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and hair, braiding my hair back and freshening up before finally heading out of the bathroom and grabbing the letter, opening it and reading it.

'You'll find the next envelope where I came in that night and you took care of me'

I smiled and put the envelope back on the dresser before heading out into the hallway and opening up the door to the front porch, looking around and peeking behind the couch and chairs, finally spying the white corner of an envelope peeking out from under a chair.

I reached down and struggled to grab it, finally getting ahold of it and pulling it towards me, standing up and opening the letter.

'The chicken's name is Henry'

    I let out a light chuckle and looked towards the chicken coop, then turned by head the opposite direction towards my dad's study and making my way towards there.