8

"Where's Sarah?" John B asked when he came back into the Château and sat down in a chair as I walked around the counter of the kitchen, handing out glasses of water to our friends and my brother.

"With her family." KeKe replied in a 'duh' voice, thanking me and taking a sip of her water.

"Okay, and I feel bad for her, but why is she there? She should be with us. With everything that her family had put her through—" John B started.

"Okay, John B, that's enough." I finally snapped, making everyone go dead silent and look between me and my brother.

"What? What did I do?"

"Are you serious right now? What did you do? John B, Ward may not have been the best person on this planet, but Sarah's father just died. Okay? Think of how we were when we found out Dad died. We were broken. So all I am asking of you is to give Sarah some respect." I went off on him, making my brother stand up and walk to me.

"I respect Sarah, okay? That's all I've ever done."

"Not yesterday you didn't. I was there for her while you were just looking at the place where Ward had just gotten blown up! You didn't have a shred of sadness in your eyes."

"He framed us for murder! He took you away from JJ, Riley!" John B shouted, gesturing back to where JJ sat on the couch next to KeKe.

"Don't bring JJ into this, John B. Yes, I agree Ward framed us for murder and took us away for two months, but we got through it and we're back home. So would you just drop it?"

"Riley! Are you even hearing yourself? You're sticking up for Ward Cameron!" John B said, placing his hands on my shoulders.

I shrugged his hands off and pushed him back slightly. "I'm not sticking up for Ward, John B. I'm sticking up for Sarah. All I'm asking for is a little bit of sympathy for your wife!"

"I care for her too, Riley! Do you think I don't?!"

"Well, you sure haven't been acting like you have lately." I shouted back, "And you know what, John B?"

He sighed and rubbed his temples. "What?"

"Maybe I should have just jumped ship in the storm so then maybe you might respect Sarah more." I said, stunning everyone.

"Riley—" John B tried to grab for my arm as I walked past him.

"No, John B. Just . . . just leave me alone for a while." I told him and walked outside, having the door swing shut behind me as I walked out into the peer and hopped into the boat tied to the rail, sitting on the edge and having my feet dangle in the water.

I sat in peace and quiet for a few minutes, watching the sun rise and the birds chirp as sunlight broke through the clouds.

Someone approached me from the docks and hopped in the boat, walking over and standing next to me.

"This seat taken?" Pope asked.

I looked at him and shook my head. "No. Go ahead."

He nodded and sat down next to me, dipping his feet in the water.

"I'm surprised JJ isn't out here with you." I told him after a beat of silence.

"He's inside talking some sense into John B. He asked me to come see you." He replied, offering me a small smile.

"Thanks, Pope. I'm just really . . ." I said, trailing off.

"Annoyed with John B?" He suggested.