7

I sat up on the hard slab we used for a bed and looked over at the wall.

"Hey, B. You up?"

"Yeah. Got a knot in my neck, but I'll be fine." He answered.

"I'll rub your neck to get that knot out, John B."

"Gee, that'd be a lot of help if we weren't separated by a wall of stone." He replied.

Officer Thomas walked by our cells and unlocked them, putting handcuffs on us. "Come on."

He escorted us out of the holding facilities and down a long hallway, guards looking at us as we passed.

"Where are we going?" I asked as we turned a corner.

Officer Thomas kept silent, but opened a door and told John B and I to go through, where an old man sat behind a deck.

"Mr. Routledge. Miss Routledge. Have a seat." He said as out handcuffs were removed.

We sat down on the other side of the desk as we looked at the man.

"Sheriff Department's gonna need a statement from you two." He said, handing a folder to me. "You two can have a lawyer present if you want to."

I showed the folder to John B and took out two papers: one with a picture of me and one of my brother.

"What? I-I don't—" John B looked at the man.

"Charges has been dropped. You're both free to go. When you give your statements, be prepared to tell everything you know about Rafe and Ward Cameron."

"Rafe and Ward?" I asked.

"Well, what you waiting on? Get on home." The man told us.

"Yes, sir. Yup. C'mon, Ri." John B nodded and got up, taking my hand and walking us out, past the guards who gave us looks of confusion and anger and outside into the bright light of the start of the day.

"She isn't exactly legal, so make sure you get her home safely." A guard said behind us, tossing my brother the keys to the van.

We walked down the steps and unlocked the doors to the van on the street, getting in and closing the doors.

"Wait, wait. Before you start the car"—I put my hand to the back of his neck and rubbed the knot out, leaning back in my seat—"better?"

"Much better. Thanks." He said, putting the key in the ignition and starting the van up. "Ready to go home?"

"Just drive." I told him, pointing ahead to the open street.

He chuckled softly and drove the van out onto the streets, people we knew waving at us as we drove by.

"Riley! John B! You're out!" A girl about my age said, waving to us on the street.

"We're free!" I shouted into the wind, making the girl whoop and do a little happy dance as we drove past.

"Want to surprise the heck out of the gang, Ri?" John B asked as we drove over the bridge and towards The Cut; the small shop came into view and KeKe, Kiara, JJ, and Pope were arguing about something as JJ waxed his board.

I leaned over and honked the horn, grabbing their attention and turning off the van before the two of us got out.

"No freaking way! Guys!" Pope said with a happy grin.

"Riley!" KeKe ran full sprint at me and tackled me in a hug, squeezing me tightly.

"Missed you too, KeKe. Easy on the ribs." I said, my breath being squeezed out of me.