9

I turned my head to see Sarah walking through the entrance of the Château, smiling at her from my spot in the ground.

"Hey, Sarah. Glad you could join us." I said to her.

"Shouldn't you be at Figure Eight with your little group of polo players?" John B asked, "or did you break up with Topper?"

"John B. Quit it." I said, sitting up and looking at him.

"We're just friends." Sarah said to him.

"He's just a friend. You seem to have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron." John B said.

"Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own." Sarah shot back.

"All right, what are you doing here?" John B asked.

"I'm here for Pope." She said and looked at Pope. "I think I found the island room."

"Really?" JJ asked, standing up from the couch and helping me to my feet.

"Really. Let's go." She waved her hand and walked out of the Château, heading for the van as everyone got in and John B started it up, driving into the street full of cars and crossing a bridge.

"Guys. Listen to this. The diary says the cross holds the most holy relic in all of Christendom, the Garment of the Savior." Pope said as he read through the diary's pages.

"So wait, he's saying there's a holy garment inside the cross?" KeKe asked.

"Yeah. It says the garment is capable of healing the sick from any malady." Pope answered.

"Mmm, yeah. "If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well." JJ said, making everyone look at him in shock, including me.

"What? I went to Sunday school." JJ said defensively.

"That explains why Limbrey wants the cross so bad. She thinks it can heal her." I told everyone.

"What else does it say?" Kiara asked.

""Many feel that we have sinned to steal such a sacred thing, and God will strike his vengeance on us."" Pope read.

"Thing is. God did have his vengeance. He sent a hurricane to sink the ship." KeKe said, "only Denmark survived."

I looked up at the drivers seat where John B sat, occasionally glancing at Sarah's neck where the strip of bandana used to be.

"Hey, B. Want to grab some ice cream after this? Or go surf?" I asked in attempt to cheer him up.

"Um . . . I-I'm good, Riley." John B answered, shocking us all in the back.

    We spent the rest of the time driving in silence, finally pulling into the Cameron's large driveway and parking the van before getting out.

    Sarah lead the way inside and took a right, the seven of us all heading into a large room with the wallpaper torn off, a map of the entire island on display.

———

We passed Freedman's  Church in the van with Pope talking about the historical significance of the building as we passed by and drove further down the dirt road.

    "There it is. Angel oak." Sarah said, pointing far ahead in the distance to where a giant tree stood.

    "Tide's coming in." John B said as the van slowed to a stop a few feet behind a giant patch of slick mud.

    "Look at those. Tire tracks. Limbrey must have passed through here earlier." I told my brother.

    "What are you thinking, chief?" JJ asked his friend.