Chapter Twenty-Four

The library is busy when Pixie pushes through the doors, narrowly dodging a couple of fifth years that brush past her at some speed

The library is busy when Pixie pushes through the doors, narrowly dodging a couple of fifth years that brush past her at some speed. She lets out a breath, too tired to deal with that. The quidditch game is tomorrow and Flint has her doing preparation exercises in the common room. Not even on her broom, just standing there doing stretches with the rest of the team. He might be an idiot and a brute, but he takes physical prep seriously. She heads through the front of the library towards the tucked away seated areas where she finds Hermione, Ron, and Harry. Both boys look bored and tired. Hermione smiles at Pixie as she joins them.

"Sorry, I'm late" She offers Hermione as she unravels her scarf from around her neck. The days have started to get cold in the last week, with the threat of snow even there. Pixie had to dig out her scarf and gloves. "Got cornered by Malfoy on the way out of the dungeon" She grumbles.

"What did he want?" Harry asks. Pixie pulls a face and glances at Hermione before away again.

"Nothing important" She answers and shares a look with Harry who seems to understand that it had something to do with Hermione and Pixie's friendship with her.

"Why is she here?" Ron asks as he leans back in his seat. Pixie gives him a small glare.

"Because Snape will pick apart your potions homework" Hermione points out. "So Pixie offered to put on her Slytherin hat" Pixie mocks putting on a hat and smirks at Ron and Harry, Harry smiles back at her, amused. "To go through your homework..." Hermione fights a chuckle. "Pick it apart like he will..."

"Now we're all friends" Pixie teases as she takes a seat. "You know..." She pulls up her bag to pull out a few books. "Because I basically saved you all from a monstrous disgusting troll"

"That's not how it happened" Ron grumbles a little and glances at Pixie as she pulls up her hair, twirling it at the back before sloppily wrapping a hair tie around it, sliding her wand in for good measure.

"It kind of is" Harry argues with his friend who huffs. He then notes that the books that Pixie has taken out of her bag are not all Hogwarts books, there are a few muggle world engineering books there. "Engineering?" Harry asks, motioning to the books.

"I'm working on something" Pixie admits as she sets the enchanting and the engineering books aside, for now. "It's nothing to do with school..." Ron raises an eyebrow at her. "Nothing for you to worry about" She points out with a small smirk. "Gimme your homework" She holds out her hands. "I'll just think like Snape...It shouldn't be too hard" She points out. "Given that he's my uncle" Three heads snap around to look at her. "There's got to be some of that mean spirit in here somewhere"

"What?" Ron draws out. Pixie looks up from the homework to see them staring at her.

"Snape....he's my uncle" Pixie repeats. "My mom...she's Tatiana Snape...Harry, you know this, she introduced herself to you"

"I didn't put two and two together" Harry admits.

"The Auror" Ron points out. "Tatiana Snape is Snape's sister?"

"Yes" Pixie answers, Hermione sighs a little. "Really?" Pixie asks the two of them.

"But you're nothing like him" Ron argues. Pixie hums a little and shares a look with Hermione who shrugs back at her. The table falls silent as Hermione goes over Harry and Ron's charms homework and Pixie reads through their potions papers. Ron folds his arms on the top of his pile of books, resting his chin in them to watch them. Waiting to see what they say. Harry then gets up from his seat, adjusting his jumper.

"I'm going to ask Snape for my book back" Harry announces. Pixie raises an eyebrow at him. "Hermione gave it to me" Harry answers the unvoiced question. Pixie hums a little and then goes back to reading through the two papers in front of her.

"Rather you than me, mate," Ron tells Harry. Harry nods and then walks away. "Five knuts he gets detention" Ron mumbles to Hermione and Pixie. Pixie smirks a little whilst Hermione gives Ron a scolding look.

......

Harry rushes back to the library and straight to the table where his friends are sitting. Pixie has started reading from an enchanting book and Hermione is writing with her quill. He stops at the end of the table. Out of breath, clutching his side. He has never ran so fast in his life, not even when they were running from Filch.

"Did you get it?" Ron asks absent-mindedly as he corrects his homework as per Pixie's notes. Though he has far fewer notes than Harry's paper. So that's something. 

"What's the matter?" Pixie asks him, noting the look on his face.

"I went to Snape's office" Harry rushes out, out of breath as he sits back in his chair. "Filch was helping Snape bandage his leg and he was talking about keeping his eyes on three heads at once...You know what this means?" He finishes. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Hallowe'en! That's where he was going when we saw him, he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to create a diversion!" Hermione's eyes widen and Pixie shakes her head.

"No, he wouldn't," Pixie defends. "I know he's not very nice to ya, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe." Hermione nods in agreement.

"Pixie's right"

"She would defend him" Ron argues. "They're family...and you think all teachers are saints or something," Pixie glares at Ron as she snaps her book shut. "I'm with Harry. I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?" Pixie lurches to her feet.

"It's not Snape" She hisses at them as she shoves her books back into her bag. She doesn't want to think of him betraying Dumbledore, because she knows the way her mother talks about Snape. How loyal he is. She can't believe he would do something like this. She gives a huff as she stalks away from them. Hermione glares at Ron.

"Now look what you've done" She scolds him.

"It's not my fault her uncle is..." Ron starts to argue with her but Hermione loudly closes her book whilst staring her glare at him. Ron shuts up. He does get it though. Pixie has been open and kind and helpful. Saved Hermione. It's no wonder that Hermione is protective of that friendship.