Part 2 | The Battle Of Protectors

Upon waking the next morning, you dressed swiftly and followed a maid's direction to the dining hall.

Stepping inside the tall double doors, you glanced around in awe.

The golden walls stretched up to reach the high ceiling, the stone floors smooth and polished. Down the centre of the room there were many large tables laden with a range of breakfast items; fruits, pastries, delicate cakes and whatnot. Scattered around the room were smaller, round tables that could seat about ten people, some of them already occupied. At the front of the room the Royal family sat at their own table, waiting for the time to begin.

—————————————

"Welcome all to Asgard, realm of the Gods. Today, the first stage of  The Battle of Protectors will begin. If you are successful, you will move on in the competition. However, if you are unsuccessful, you will return your respected realms."

"The purpose of this competition is to find a worthy protector for Prince Thor and Prince Loki. They will watch you throughout all the stages, and will eventually make a decision. If you are a female, you are also able to be chosen as a suitor for either one. Whether you chose to be here or not, we expect you to do your very best. Good luck."

Odin ended his speech, raising his goblet to the crowd. A round of applause was given, and then breakfast began.

Picking out an assortment of pastries and fruits, you filled your plate and sat down next to a lady with long brown hair and a kind expression.

"Good morning, my name is Lady Sif of Asgard, it is a pleasure to meet you" she said, a smile gracing her lips.

Returning the gesture, you answered, "Hello Sif, my name is Lady Y/n L/n of Alfheim."

"So you're an elf?" She asked excitedly. You grinned.

"Yes I am. Are you aiming to court or protect?"

"I am hoping to court Prince Thor, we grew up together and he is a very kind man. Are looking to do the same?"

Scoffing, you took a bite of your pastry. "If I am chosen for either my parents shall be ecstatic." She nodded, a sympathetic look on her face.

"So, being an elf , you are of course trained in battle and possess magic, may I ask what kind?"

"I am a sorceress, meaning I can do a range of things. You?"

She waved her hand and a feeble puff of smoke appeared, making you laugh. "Magic's not my forte, I prefer to battle" she replied, grinning menacingly.

There was silence for a second, before you both burst out laughing again.

The two of you spent the rest of the time laughing and joking together, making a pleasant start to your day. Eventually, the bell rang to signal the start of the first round.

"Good luck" she whispered, giving you a small hug.