15| Desperate Criminal II

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Nadya pushed me into an archway and hallways dotted with Renaissance paintings, mostly of aristocratic men in red royal penguin-like uniforms, with artistic peruke, a wig for men with curls on the sides that framed their oblong faces. Some are simply posing on thrones or in rooms with their wives, brothers, and children. A few are with their lovers.

I even saw King Henry with his wives as well, surrounding him like vipers as he sat in a golden chair with a regal look.

This house — sorry, my bad — mansion does nothing but scream luxury and elegance. At sinabi ni Kazmus na hindi siya nabubuhay sa yaman niya. If he's being humble, then I'll give him that.

Pero may isang bagay akong napansin sa bawat pinapasukan naming pasilyo. There are one to two paintings of Jesus and Mary. Para sa mga kriminal, hindi ko lubos akalain na may pananampalataya pa rin sila.

Huminto kami sa tapat ng black oak double door with intricate designs. Mas kapansin-pansin dito ang malaking eight-pointed star na nakaukit sa magkabilang pintuan. There are Russian words carved onto them, which I didn't understand.

Saglit akong iniwan ni Nadya para itulak pabukas ang dalawang pintuan at ipirmi sa magkabilang gilid. She stepped aside, allowing me to take in the grandiose room.

Gold. Everything is elegant, from the wall linings and chandeliers I only see in period dramas, to the high ceilings and glass windows that overlook the garden. They matched the numerous couches arranged in front of the fireplace. The extensive bookshelves on either side reached all the way to the room's corners and were filled with hardbound books in black, brown, green, and red.

Hindi ko namalayan na muli akong tinulak ni Nadya sa kulay maroon na carpet.

"Lord Kazmus."

Sa pagbanggit ni Nadya dito ay saka ko lang napansin si Kazmus na nakatalikod at nakaharap sa malaking bintana. His body turned to us, nodding to Nadya, who was silently backtracking to the door we came in, closing it as she stepped out, leaving me with Kazmus.

"I see she gave you a hard time," pansin ni Kazmus nang hindi ko sinasadyang huminga ng kaluwagan sa pag-alis ni Nadya.

"Para kong inagaw sakanya ang boyfriend niya," komento ko.

The corner of his lips curled up. Iniwan niya ang baso ng alak na hindi ko napansin na hawak niya sa lamesa bago lumapit sa akin.

"Forgive her character. She wasn't thrilled about a new woman in the house."

"May mga babae pa?" I don't know why I sounded like a paranoid, jealous girlfriend. At hindi iyon nakatakas sakanya base sa kislap ng mga mata at ngising pinipigilan.

"There are only three of them. The other two are helpers in the kitchen. You'll meet them soon."

Pumunta siya sa likuran ng wheelchair. I felt him grip the handle and gently pull the wheelchair, only to shift me in the direction of a room in the corner. It was the lightest shade of brown, almost gold but not quite.

"Just three?"

"Yes. Just three."

Gusto kong itanong kung bakit tatlo lang ang babae dito pero baka iba ang isipan niya. He's happy enough I am inquiring about them like I'm weighing the danger they pose.

"Saan mo ako dadalhin?" tanong ko.

"To my bedroom."

Katulad ni Nadya, saglit niya rin akong iniwan para buksan ang pintuan.