20| Engagement

CHAPTER TWENTY

"You have to keep your head held high. Show no fear or else everyone would see you as an unfit wife for a Vor."

"My neck hurts."

"The neck brace was ready after this event, Mrs. Rozanov. Just hang in for a moment — breathe deeper."

"I-I can't!"

Halos malagutan na ako nang hininga kaka-breathe deeper. Katrina pulled the string corset from behind me, and I lurched forward as she yanked the strings tighter and tighter, compressing my ribs and breasts.

"Oh, God!" I gasped as I felt the corset securely fastened and wrapped around me.

"Done! Now's the dress!" Tumatalbog si Katarina na nagtungo sa kama at maingat na kinuha ang nakalatag na dress.

Huminga ako ng malalim at pinagmamasdan ang sarili sa harapan ng salamin, ngumiwi nang makita na ipit na ipit at litaw na litaw ang mga buns ko. The corset transformed me into a woman though, and I was certain I was going to pass out later.

"Why do I need to wear a corset by the way?" Humarap ako kay Katarina.

Lumapit siya sa akin at maingat na sinuot ang kulay ginto na gown na pinili ni Kazmus. Kailangan pa niyang tumuntong sa bangkito para maabot ako. Hanggang sa ilong ko lang ang taas niya.

"For proper posture, Mrs. Rozanov. You're soon to marry a high-ranking Bratva, who was also a powerful one, and his strength and wealth should be seen by his bride. Every woman will attempt to take Lord Kazmus from you, and you must show the power to make them back off."

"I don't think I can do this." My throat tightened as if the corset was set around my neck.

"You can't back out now, Mrs. Rozanov. Well, if you insist, then I'm afraid I have to bury you myself because the Bratva would kill you. And I haven't buried anyone before, but I dug a grave for myself when my former mistress warned me she'd kill me one day; I think the burial was still in Eritrea."

Napanganga ako, natulala at namutla. Tears stung my eyes as dread punched me deep in my core. Katarina was oblivious to this as she went on about burying me in Eritrea herself. Her voice was encouraging and innocent, but the substance of her words brought me nightmares.

"Are you still going to back out, Mrs. Rozanov?" She batted her eyelashes at me, so innocently.

Umiling ako. Mabilis. Marami.

Nakahinga siya ng maluwag, hindi ko alam kung dahil hindi niya ako ililibing o dahil hindi ako uurong.

"Lord Kazmus made a good choice in choosing the dress for you. Done!"

Muli akong humarap sa salamin, ang mga kamay ay maingat na plinantiya ang gintong skirt. The beaded sweetheart bodice dress has a fairy ombre of gold and shiny glitter with a puffy draping skirt. The skirt flutters and catches everyone's attention as it follows my every move.

Tama si Katarina, Kazmus made a good choice choosing it for me.

Katarina soon tied the headpiece around my forehead. The headpiece was beaded, with several jewels to highlight the champagne ostrich feather that glimmers under the lights. It complimented my finger wave hairstyle and the dark glitter eyeshadow that tease when I blink my eyes.

"You're so magnificent, Mrs. Rozanov," agaw ni Katarina sa atensyon ko. "This is going to be the epic engagement party of all time."

Ngumiti ako sakanya mula sa salamin sa harapan ko, pero agad nagsulubong ang mga kilay ko nang mapansin na namamasa ang mga mata niya.