Chapter 2

Where did the girl disappear off to? Oscar wondered after returning to the ball.

'Ah. Lord Pierce future Earl of Warrington, how are you my dearest friend?' Oscar heard his friend Lord Haywood say as he handed him a glass of drink.

'Yes, I am fine, and you?' Oscar said politely. Haywood hated travelling and didn't bother with exploring. They had been great friends ever since they were young boys and Oscar had often spent many holidays in Haywood's home. His home was a family home especially with his 5 brothers and 3 sisters. It was filled with laughter, happiness, and love. It was different for Oscar as he had lost his mother when he was but seven and then was left in the care of his distant father who never really portrayed any interest in Oscar nor his poor deceased mother. That was until a year ago, now that he had to find a wife and gain an heir to secure the Pierce bloodline.

'You know how life is? Full of adventure and new things to explore.'

'In England?' Oscar asked sarcastically

'Of course. Do not belittle our country, she is great.' Haywood winked, 'Now, what is it I hear about you finding a wife?'

'Father thinks it's time to settle down.' Oscar said sipping the red liquor.

'What? Why the sudden rush? You're only five and twenty, not even thirty yet. Hmmm, there must be something wrong. Did you question your father on anything?'

'Father is ill.' Oscar said curtly. 'He believes that he is nearing the end and soon to leave me Beacon House and the estate.'

'Oh, I am sorry. I should come and visit, it's been too long since we last got together. I would've visited whilst you were away if I had known.'

'No, I had no clue until father sent me the letter, ordering me to come home.' Oscar smiled. A few moments went by.

'Good Lord, what is wrong with that hideous women.'

Haywood said looking across the room. Oscar too looked at the dark corner of the room. It was a large girl with dark auburn sausage-like hair in a terrible muddy green dress looking down as another elderly woman talked to her, on second thoughts, more like telling her off. She had scratches on her arm along with a few oozes of blood. Oscar felt like laughing, she looked like a 'huge' disaster waiting to happen or happening right this moment.

'Keep watching her. I find it terribly funny why a fat thing like her would bother to attend.' Oscar and Haywood burst into a laughter quickly quieting themselves. Just then, the girl looked up and Oscar looked at her deep blue eyes which started to fill up with water and then she looked and hurried out of the room.

'And she is supposed to be a Lady, How pathetic?'

'A Lady?' Oscar said befuddled.

'Yes, Lady Amelia Grey adopted apparently. Have you never seen her? She attends most balls. After all, her Uncle is a Baron of Darring, and good Lord, are they wealthy. No children of their own and no male heir, so everything goes to her. How ludicrous?'

' No wonder she is bound to get invites-'

'Mostly out of pity, I believe.' 

 Haywood said continuing to laugh, 'a grown girl getting shouted at in a ball. I mean she herself is an embarrassment and adding all THAT...' Oscar couldn't help but laugh even though he pitied the girl. 

'Lord Pierce, can I introduce my daughter, Miss Scott?' Oscar stopped and turned round to face a beautiful young  girl with her mother, who shared the same looks.

'Of course. It would be my pleasure..' Oscar bent to kiss the girls hand, having already forgotten about the poor little creature. 

Unknown to them both, Sir James removed his gaze from the young Lord Pierce and returned to look at Amelia as she drank her punch alone in the corner in the horrid green dress. Poor girl, Lord was she miserable. She needed a husband and give her the family she deserved. Even if it required blackmail and he knew exactly whom it would be. 

****

2 WEEKS LATER

'What! Are you insane, father!' Oscar said in astonishment. No, it couldn't be true. It just couldn't.

'Do not talk to me like that Oscar.' His father coughed.

'Father please, marrying HER. That's public humiliation. Everyone will be laughing at me. Look, I've found a girl...her name is... Miss...Scott, no, Miss Poppy-'

'Oscar, the decision is final. You are to marry her or say farewell to your inheritance.'

'You wouldn't do that to me.'

'Oh do not test me, son.' The expression on his father's face was clear. This was no joke. This was a hundred percent serious. 

'Why? Why are you doing this to me?' Oscar said putting his face into hands.

'It's the only way son. It is all my fault.' Oscar looked up at his father standing by the fireplace, looking defeated. 'I owe money to Lord James, a sum that I cannot repay without losing everything. If you marry his niece, everything is forgiven and you will be wealthier than you could imagine. You must hate me, and I don't blame you.'

'There must be some other way.'

'No, there isn't. I do not want to do this to you, but it is the only way. Besides the girl, do not give her a hard time, I know she'll make a fine match with you. She's shy but she is intelligent, well educated and... different from the rest. Don't judge by appearance, son. It is the inner that matters. Beauty fades away but not the ability to keep one amused by one's intelligence. Believe me, son, I know.'

Oscar stared at his father in disbelief. His father had never spoken so much to him throughout his five and twenty years and it mostly revolved around the fat, pitiful, embarrassing girl. Oscar, could not believe it but his inheritance was his world. He would marry her, but for the money. One heir and then all the women in the world will take her place. In this society, marriage was business like his fathers and the many other men surrounding him. Nonetheless, he has always planned to marry for love, but that was clearly not going to happen. 

'Fine.' Oscar finally said, heading for the oak door, 'but I'll never forgive you for this.'