Chapter 5

Amelia woke up the next morning before dawn. Earlier than usual. She grabbed her woollen shawl and stepped onto the balcony attached to her room. She could see the reddish orange sun rising and lighting up the whole dark sky. That's how she will feel when Lord Pierce finally accepted her and loved her like a husband should. Like the sun, rising from the darkness and having her entire life lighten up. 

All of a sudden, she saw a carriage wondering onto the gravel road towards the exist. It was probably Lord Haywood finally returning home. Yesterday had been a terrible day. All the comments and neglect that she had faced from Lord Pierce. He didn't attend dinner and when she went to fond out why his friend Lord Haywood was there, she heard their boisterous, arrogant laughter aimed at her. She already didn't like Lord Haywood. He seemed like a typical nobleman who thought too much of himself and after their joke, she disliked him even more. What's more she spent half the night waiting for Lord Pierce to at least fulfil his marital duties but he didn't even come. Maybe things would be better at breakfast.

After Mary had helped Amelia dress she ascended downstairs to the dining room. There was only toast, tea and egg available. She was used to having a whole breakfast buffet in her uncles home. Soon, she will make sure there was a variety of food for every meal of the day, but she didn't want to start too soon.

'Is...Is Lord Pierce awake yet?' Amelia asked Harry nervously. Harry looked at her puzzled.

'Hasn't he told you my lady?

'Told me what? he hasn't even sp-' Amelia stopped before she embarrassed herself further.

'He left at dawn to go on some business trip.' Amelia froze. What! He had left the day after his wedding! Amelia gulped and tried to remain calm.

'Where...to London?  And when will he return?'

''My lady,'' Harry didn't want to hurt the women, she looked so shy and fragile but he had no choice but to break the news to her. '' he is going to South America and he didn't specify a return date.'

Amelia pushed her chair back. 'Thank you Harry.'' She nodded and quickly walked out the room and into the lush garden. It was a sunny day but Amelia just kept walking and walking until she reached a river flowing calmly. She sat underneath the shade of a tree just watching the fish swimming blindly. She had never felt such pain that had seared through her when Harry told her about Lord Pierces running away from her. What a coward! God damn him! Amelia had been cursing underneath her breath and even aloud. So what if she was a lady, no one could hear her in the country side. She knew it will become the gossip of the entire London soon. It seems that she still hadn't managed to escape humiliation despite getting married to one of the most handsome men in England. It was at this moment she finally saw all her hopes of acceptance, companionship and... love vanish.

Amelia took a deep breath. It was time for her to finally take charge and change her life. She felt so tired of the horrible treatment from others and felt even more sick of herself felling sorry for herself. She will find other means of enjoying life, after all she had managed all these previous years. All of a sudden, she had an idea. Warrington House was her home now and she will start up a project to officially make it hers. The décor, furniture will all change, including the attitude of her servants. She, herself, will change and this time she won't resort to food but her talent in art. The funniest thing was that she hadn't shed a tear. This was the beginning of her new and better life.