Chapter 6

4 YEARS LATER.

Oscar could not believe he was back in London. It was early morning and he was outside his solicitor's room waiting to go in. He wasn't back in England for long and would be back on his ship 'The Glory' within the next 4 days. Therefore, it was important for him not to be spotted by anyone familiar. He knew what the gossip in London was like and wondered how Lady Pierce had dealt with it after he had left her. All he knew was that she was alive, to his dismay.

'My lord, do come in.' His Solicitor, Mr. Lloyd said. Oscar stepped into the plush office and sat on the large brown chair.

'So, Lord Pierce what brings you to England? I replied to your letter stating everything was fine.' Mr. Lloyd looked at him with a raised eyebrow. Oscar stared back.

'How is Warrington House? Is the money enough?' Oscar said hesitantly after a few moments. Mr. Lloyd laughed.

'Is that the reason your back? Good Lord, let me just check your balance.' Oscar watched as the solicitor checked the books. That wasn't the only reason as to why he was back. In actual fact, he wanted to see his father. Despite what his father had done, Oscar hated the way he had left without saying goodbye to him. Every time he left England, he'd seen his father. His father was growing older and Oscar didn't know if he would be alive the next time he'd return to England. His father was his only family member.

'Hmmm,' My Lloyd frowned. 'Your balances...I don't believe that Lady Pierce has ever requested it. So, whatever you have sent back, has remained untouched.'

'What? That cannot be right. How on earth is she managing to maintain Warrington house, pay for the food and servants? I believe I don't  understand how everything has just remained the same!' Oscar exclaimed trying not to loose his patience.

'Well, it has remained untouched and if you want to find out then you'll have to simply to ask your wife.' The solicitor said unmoved.

But the words 'your wife' seemed like a punch to Oscar. His wife. God, he never thought of Lady Pierce like that, but just a women who resided in his home.

'Anything else, Lord Pierce?' The solicitor said. Oscar had never liked Mr. Lloyd but knew he was one of the best in the whole of England.

'No, just keep this visit to yourself. Don't... mention it to anyone, especially...Lady Pierce. Thank you. I'll write to you soon.'

Oscar left the house looking down, trying to hide. The streets were not overcrowded with people, rather just a few people here and there. He just couldn't get over the fact that his money hadn't been used. Warrington house must be dishevelled and in ruins by now. Wasn't Lady Pierce living there? Had she returned to her Uncle's House? Did anyone even live there anymore? His father couldn't live there because he was going to be seeing him today at the Ridley Estate, which was a days travel from Warrington House. Questions upon questions ran through his head. All of a sudden he felt someone watching him and following him. Oscar started to walk faster and after a while Oscar suddenly turned around, only to see no one in particular. Oscar scolded at himself for his paranoia. He was just nervous to see his father that's all. No matter what, he wouldn't return to Warrington House, he just wasn't ready yet.  But he knew that he would have to be ready soon, too soon.

****

Thank God, Amelia exhaled. She had hidden just before he had seen her. She couldn't believe her eyes when she had first caught a glimpse of him as she was just about to enter the art shop.  It was by chance that she had caught sight of his reddish chestnut brown hair. It seemed shinier than before. His shoulders looked, even more, broader and his biceps more muscular. God, how amazing it would  feel to run her long fingers along his large strong shoulders and chest? Amelia felt a tingle of hope strike in her heart. He hadn't written to her informing her but what if he was going to be returning to Warrington House as a surprise? If so, then Amelia had to return at once and prepare a lavish feast for him.

After a few steps, Amelia stopped. Even if he was going to be returning, he would still imagine her as her former self. She had changed both physically and emotionally. There was no point in getting excited over Lord Pierce returning, he wouldn't even notice her and will probably continue to neglect her just as he did all those years ago. She no longer cared. She refused to be one of those pathetic women who literally worshipped their husbands. Not a chance.

'Lady Pierce, where did you disappear off to. Nearly had the fright of my life, my Lady. I think we should return another day. The streets are starting to get overcrowded.'

'Thank you, Mary. Yes, let's go. I don't want anyone to see me.'

'My Lady, even if they did, they won't ever recognize you, but instead, they would wonder who that beautiful woman was.'

Amelia smiled. 'Don't be silly Mary. Beautiful is not a word I would ever associate myself with.'

'Of course, it is My Lady. You really have turned into a picturesque sight.' Andrew the footman said smiling.

Amelia laughed. She loved the way she had a carefree relationship with her servants.They were more like her friends and family than servants. Things had vastly changed and Amelia felt proud of the pleasurable atmosphere that inhabited Warrington House -her house. It was much warmer and vibrant than when she had first arrived. Everyone smiled and enjoyed their work. She made sure to give them a pay rise and even ate some meals with them. Things were different and better, and Lord Pierce was simple a name, a ghost she would not care to see again.