chapter 8

7 months later

Amelia sat with her pen and paper, preparing a witty letter to send to Lord Pierce on behalf of his father. He had suddenly become so ill that the physicians feared that death would be soon approaching him. Lord Pierce's father, Lord Vincent, had delayed calling Lord Pierce because of some reason which Amelia hadn't pressed further for. Ok, she breathed in. This was a simple writing task. Why was she making such a huge deal over it?

Several sheets of papers later, Amelia was content with her extremely short letter. It was as if all the words in her brain had suddenly vanished and didn't make sense any more. Oh well, this would have to do. She thought. She doubted that Lord Pierce would even think that she wrote it. She even wondered would he even respond to the letter and return home. Amelia didn't know much about Lord Pierce and Lord Vincent's relationship, but gathering from what she has seen, it was clearly unstable and unhappy.

Amelia's thoughts suddenly turned to her own Uncle. Her marriage hadn't seemed to make any positive effects on her Uncle and her husband running away didn't make matters any simpler. It was funny. Before, if she hadn't felt the sudden self-confidence and zeal rush into her. She would probably have been depressed or even dead due to suicide. Before, Amelia had heard many stories of wives of the aristocracy committing suicide due to their husband's neglect or having a mistress and other petty things along these lines. Amelia promised herself never to do such a criminal act. She didn't understand why someone would want to ruin their own life over someone else. It won't really affect them and even if it did, it would be a little too late to see the remorse or emotion. Life was a special gift from God and she had accepted it and finally, herself.

                                                         ****************************

'My lord, I found this letter,' Edward, Oscar's valet said to him placing the dirty envelope on the table. Oscar was enjoying his breakfast outside on the white sanded beach, watching the morning waves crash against each other as light breezes swept the cool air.

'Oh right.' Oscar read the envelope. Was it from Ripley Estate? From his father? Oscar opened it, only to find fro his father but in a handwriting that did not belong to his father. It looked elegant and short!

'Dear Lord Oscar Warrington Pierce,

 Please, son, finish your business in America as soon as possible. The end seems too near. It's time to take care of your responsibilities.

Your faithfully, Lord Vincent Warrington Pierce.

Good lord! Oscar was astounded and confused. How could his father be dying just after eight months of seeing him! It couldn't be true. But he did look fragile. Oscar quickly made up his mind after a short debate with himself. There was no doubt that he had to return. His anger was one thing, but his father was still his father and he could not bear the thought of his dying alone, without seeing him. Oscar decided that he would tie up any loose business and leave it to one of his good, trusted and loyal friends. It was time to return home.

*****

Two months had gone by since Amelia had posted the letter and there was still no reply. It seemed that Lord Pierce didn't actually care about his father and had no interest in his coming responsibilities. Amelia sighed as she walked on the fresh green grass, under the shade of the blossom tree. She had been handling the affairs that Lord Vincent was supposed to be doing. His health seemed to get better but then became worse again. This state had been ongoing for the previous month. The physician had said discreetly, that there was no point in getting her hopes high as  this was to be the state until the end. Amazingly, Lord Vincent had only asked about Lord Pierce's reply only the once after she had sent the letter as if he had known that Lord Pierce wasn't going to bother. Either that or he just didn't want to get his hopes too high. Surely, nobody could be that cruel, to let their frail father die alone. But Amelia didn't know Lord Pierce and therefore, preferred not to wonder about it any longer. 

Amelia felt upset. Since the illness had started, Amelia would travel often to Ripley Estate. It was a day's ride and it was tiring but Amelia felt as if she was in debt to him. Despite causing him humiliation that his son's marriage had failed before it had even started, Lord Vincent had still treated her wonderfully, almost like a father should. But there was an invisible barrier which Amelia kept, not just with him but everyone she came into contact with. Well, the two people besides the servants, her uncle and Lord Vincent whom she got into contact with. Getting too close or wishing for something too good had always ended in disaster, hence it was better to keep her distance. She just didn't want to get hurt by anyone again.