Chapter 4

Amelia was astounded and deeply hurt by Lord Pierce's reply. She hadn't expected that at all. Lord Pierce looked like such a good-hearted, honest and kind man. Surely, he couldn't have said those words, he just couldn't have! But, the reality was that he had. He had said those cruel, bitter words. She sighed, it didn't matter now, she, well he was stuck with her and at least she wasn't going to be a spinster and it felt wonderful to finally make the pretty faced gossipers jealous of her, well not her but her husband. A Husband who had just declared his dislike of her. 

Nonetheless, one aspect that she could not come to terms with was why did he marry her for money when there were other wealthy, beautiful women around and why had he needed it in the first place? Warrington house was exquisite from the outside and stood on a small hill. Tall green trees surrounded the mansion but in a nice manner, which  made the house look all the bolder. The fountain in the middle and in front of the house was delicately designed to perfection. Amelia looked around, to see lush grass continuing for miles. Suddenly, she felt excited towards how picturesque the sunset would look and she couldn't wait until she could spend hours secretly painting and sketching it. It would be extremely romantic if Lord Pierce would spend an evening with her admiring the sunset on the balcony. Amelia shook her head, that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. She didn't care, she was going to enjoy living in this perfect country house.

'Lady Pierce, will you be coming in? The servants are waiting to greet you.' Mary, her maid broke her thoughts.

'Yes, of course, I apologize for my delay.' Amelia gulped, this was going to be horrible. She was never good at greeting and meeting people.

Amelia walked through the double front door, and saw the servants, all straight-faced, in two lines, making a pathway through the middle. The hallway looked old, tired and worn out and needed some serious repairment.

'Lady Pierce, I am Harry, the head servant, and the butler.' A tall, thin man with a grim expression suddenly stepped forward and awkwardly kissed her hands. 'Shall I introduce you to the servants and show you around the house?'

She was too shocked to say anything and finally squeaked a 'Yes'. Whilst meeting the individual servants, she smiled at them with 'A pleasure to meet you.' However, she only got a curtsy or bow along with silence in return. Great! first, the husband hardly talks and now the servants too. A life of silence, she would try and change the servants a little, after all, she knew how the servants could be fun and humorous once they got comfortable with her just like the servants in her Uncles house, which Aunt Agatha had always disliked her friendliness with them. It would just take time, like everything else in her life at the moment.

                                                                           *********

Night had already fallen, and Oscar felt strange being at his childhood home. He had loosened his cravat and was trying to enjoy the glass of brandy, trying to figure out what to do with his life, now that he was married to the hideous girl. God, producing an heir was out of the question, but he knew he will have to fulfil his duty in the coming years. He had a terrible headache and had been in his study room ever since he got home. He didn't want to face Lady Pierce. It was too awkward especially after what he had said. In a way, he regretted saying it but at least she knew that he had no proper intention towards being the man that the novelists were making ideal in those daft romance novels that were so popular amongst the females in London.

Oscar heard a knock on the brown oak door and granted entry. 

'You have a visitor My Lord. Lord Haywood.' Harry said as Lord Haywood stepped into the room with a sly expression on his face. 

'Haywood, what on earth are you doing here?' Oscar got up and shook hands with him.

'God dammit, you just got married, I thought you might need some company. I know how much you hate this place and you married someone you despise which is even worse.'

'I don't hate it and I don't despise her either.' Lord Pierce hesitated. 'I just don't know her-'

' My dearest friend, your father forced to marry that ugly duckling which any man would loathe. Therefore, I, Lord Haywood being the dearest and bestest friend and loving you like my own family, have found you a possible way to get away from her.'

'There is no way, I have to stay married to her no matter what.'

'Ahah, your father didn't say you had to live with her, did he now?' Hearing the silence Lord Haywood continued. 'Well, I have some business in South America and you know how much I hate travelling and all that rubbish, I'd like you to go on my behalf, don't worry, given your moneyless circumstances I will pay for everything and you can keep 45% of the earnings.'

'What? Are you serious?' Oscar loved nothing more than travelling, but due to the financial problems he was facing, it didn't seem like and option. He also made an oath because he wouldn't touch a pence from Lady Pierce, although all of it was his now, even her. Everything belonged to him now. 

'Does it look like I am joking?' Lord Haywood started to smile. He knew he'd win Oscar over, he knew his friend well and wanted to give Oscar some happiness after all the drama and grief he had returned to, especially from his father.

'Yes, I'll go definitely. Thank you.'

'Yes, now are you going to tell her, Oscar?' Haywood asked curiously.

Oscar thought for a moment and thought better of it. 'No, I'm not going to bother.'

'She really is an ugly duckling Oscar.'

'who will never turn into a swan.' Saying that both of them burst into laughter. They didn't realize that Amelia was walking past the study at the precise moment of the horrid joke. Amelia didn't dare look at the maid and quickly started to run to her room with tears overfilling her light blue eyes.