Chapter 7

Oscar felt extremely nervous as he got out of the carriage. He was outside his fathers house, whom he hadn't seen ever since his dreadful wedding. He hadn't uttered a word to him due to his anger with his father. Oscar took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

The door opened to reveal the butler who had been with his family since Oscar could remember.

'Your father is waiting in the dinning room. He is waiting for you to join him for dinner.'

Oscar nodded and walked into the dinner room, his footsteps knocking on the polished floor as he walked. At least, this house was in perfect shape, thanks to his failed marriage.

'Father,' Oscar nearly gasped as he saw his father sitting on his usual spot at the head of the huge and long table. His father looked so fragile and weak. His hair were all white. How could someone look so old within the four years he was away?

'Son,' His father said smiling a little. 'I'm really sorry about everything.'

Oscar ignored his fathers apology. It wasn't enough. 'How are you?' Oscar said taking his place next to his father.

'Fine.' a moment of silence passed. 'When are you planning to return to Amelia.'

'Amelia?'

'Your wife, you stupid boy.  Don't tell me you call her 'Lady Pierce'? Don't answer that. I have a feeling I already know the answer. Anyhow, an important question. Is there going to be an heir coming along soon?' His father said casually.

Oscar coughed into his whisky and rubbed his forehead as the servant replace his drink. 'Father, I'm not here for an argument nor to answer private questions like that . Can we just have dinner in peace please. I'm going in a few days, back to America. Anyway, an heir is probably out the question.'

His father stared at him in an angry silence.

'You should see her, Oscar. She's changed and you'll probably change your mind. The poor chit. She deserves better after everything she has been through.' His father said calmly after a few moments.

Oscar scoffed. 'You must visit each other regularly, and what had she been through. She lived luxuriously, with an uncle who loved her. What could she had experience and what do you know about relationships?' Oscar gulped the whiskey down.

'Don't you dare talk to me like that!. I know what a relationship is. I know how to treat a women which I cannot say the same for you. You make me feel ashamed of myself, the way you treated her. Do you know what a scandal you left her to deal with when you went galloping off, acting like the selfish boy you always were. You know, she doesn't receive anyone's call but mine and her uncles, not even her own aunt.' Oscar stood up ready to leave.

'Sit down and listen carefully, boy. I'm not finished yet.' Oscar felt like a six year old.

 'She hasn't made a single public appearance in the last four years.'

Oscar sighed. 'Why not? what...what I'm I suppose to do anyway?'

'Go and see her and find out. It's embarrassing. All those people, just waiting to find another reason to gossip. You will grow to love your wife'

The servants placed the plate of food on the table. Oscar didn't feel hungry anymore.

'I'm sorry father. I don't believe in love. Its a mad up feeling. When you love someone, they leave you quicker than they ought to. I've seen to many examples.' Oscar sighed. 'I'm just not ready to come back to England for permanently. I still need to finish off the business, and when I feel ready...I'll return...and take care of things. Goodbye father. Take care.' Oscar said leaving.

Oscar's father bit into his steak and watched his son leave. He knew how it felt to love and lose. He wanted Oscar to be happy,  love someone and allow them to love him back. As a father, he was clearly the worst example for his son. It was painful to know that he was the cause of his son's perceptions of love and his barrier in allowing anyone to show any affection towards him, all besides Lord Haywood. Oscar would become happy, if only he gave Amelia a chance.