Chapter 24

Amelia breathed into the dying red rose and closed her eyes. It was cold. It was dying just like her heart. Actually, her heart was already dead. It was already broken. God, she felt lonely. Her heart hurt, everything hurt. It had been 3 months and her flicker of hope of reconciling was dead. He didn't give a damn about her. That was clear otherwise he would have found her by now. But she wasn't exactly making it easy, but still.  She wanted to move on but found herself stuck in the feelings of despair and heartbreak. He didn't love her and never would like he had said. She'll never have the children she had dreamt of. Oh, the hurtful words. The months were passing by slowly, painfully. when will this despair end?

Her father was her uncle! How ridiculous? Why couldn't he had just told her? Most of all who was her mother? All these questions that wouldn't be answered. She didn't want to face anyone. Amelia lifted her face and breathed in the cold air. At least her art was accelerating but with a whole different outlook. It was dark and dreary, just like herself.

It was better this way. Amelia said strongly to herself. No one could hurt her anymore. She hadn't done anything and she wasn't to blame for her parent's crime. But why was she hiding? Argh, Amelia wanted to scream. All she had been doing for the past 3 months was arguing with herself. thoughts of Oscar, her uncle or father and her mother hadn't been leaving her mind.  Amelia slumped down on the cold grass, tired of the emotional stress. Forget! She ordered herself. 3 months have passed. Obviously, Oscar had moved on. He wasn't stalling in life like she was so she shouldn't either. Yes, Amelia breathed in deeply. She would be happy or try to become happy and she didn't need a man. But she needed someone...

Suddenly a wonderful idea came crashing to her. Adoption! Yes, why hadn't she thought of it before?  she should visit an orphan and take on a baby to adopt, to cherish, love and bring up as her own. That would be the perfect distraction and finally, she would not have to waste showering her love on those who didn't want it and if she remembered clearly, didn't believe in it. It was painfully clear that she wouldn't have a child of her own, so why not? Yes, finally she was ready to let go. She didn't care if Oscar died or lived. If he came to her...she would not care and tell him to disappear. 

Amelia scrambled up. She would go to the closest orphanage first thing tomorrow and find a child. Amelia turned around ready to tell Mary when she froze. Her heart missed a beat. There, leaning on the side of a tree was Oscar.

                                                ****************

'You ran away.' Oscar said neutrally. 'It's a nice hiding place.' He said looking around at their surrounding of trees and flowers.

'I am not hiding and I did not run away, and oh, if I remember like you did on our wedding night. Who does that?' Amelia said folding her arms across her chest. It was so un-ladylike. But she felt defensive. 'What do you want, Lord Pierce? Did you bring the papers?' Amelia said sighing. She was tired and wanted to eat after her long walk.

' What papers?' Oscar said staring at his wife. She seemed so bitter and tired.

'You know what papers. You've probably had them shipped in first thing after you found out. Just hand them over so this can be done. You can forget me and find someone you want and have a proper marriage. After all, this is only a sham marriage to you.'

Oscar stared at her disbelievingly. She was talking about divorce. How could she? The thought had never crossed his mind. The warm feelings that ran through his mind every time he thought of her and how all he could think about was her. He was going mad. But here she was talking about divorce. He could not bear another day without her. But he couldn't lie, she was difficult and tiresome to find.