Memoria

Chapter title and song video: "Come as You Are" by Nirvana. I love this song for this chapter where Sirius confronts issues with both Snape and Regulus. 🖤
_________________
The speed of wind, sustained, without stopping. That was always the goal to surpass, on any given day. Running in his human form regularly had helped. Sirius was in ecstasy at the micro-movements of muscle he hadn't felt in so long, especially on such rugged and high-altitude terrain.

Colleen had decided to spend the day one-on-one with Ben, taking him shopping and to the park, since she had put in many long hours at the firm the previous week. Sirius had cancelled his appointment with Dr. Moody that morning, certain the wizard therapist would castrate him if he knew what Sirius had planned for the day. Only Rhiannon knew; she didn't exactly approve, but she was a Thunderbird. She understood the need to fly.

Padfoot's visit to Hogwarts that late summer Saturday was twofold. Harry was now captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, and today he would be leading tryouts for the first time. Seeing Harry follow in his father's footsteps wasn't something Sirius was willing to miss. After the main event, Rhiannon had arranged access to the dungeons and scheduled some time on her reluctant husband's calendar to discuss items of business that had been haunting Sirius's mind. Sirius hoped a few hours running as Padfoot and seeing Harry again would lift his spirits enough to keep the meeting with Snape congenial at the least, productive at the most.

There weren't too many enemies who recognized Sirius's Animagus form, but one who certainly did was Lucius Malfoy, who happened to attend every Quidditch game, though Sirius had heard rumblings that the man had disappeared as of late. Still, if Sirius were to watch Harry in action, tryouts would be the only option. As a Gryffindor who had given himself free reign to roam beyond Hogwarts grounds in the rule-breaking days of his youth, Sirius expertly knew the lay of the land. Padfoot's keen senses only aided him along the way, keeping him wise to any scents or sounds that would indicate possible discovery. He found a spot on a hill overlooking the Quidditch pitch with just enough tall grasses remaining before next week's onset of autumn. Stretching his large, furry form belly-down against the earth, Padfoot settled in and awaited the students' arrival.

It wasn't a perfect vantage point, but he could make out Harry's bright red and gold uniform displaying its prominent captain's badge, along with his characteristic round glasses. The boy had grown since Sirius had last seen him three months ago, and his posture was more serious, more resolute. He looked more like James than ever. While Sirius's heart would have ached at the thought, the pain of losing James — his pack member, his right hand man, his partner — hit Padfoot deeper. Dumbledore couldn't possibly understand. He thought that the separation from Harry was something Sirius could work to logically wrap his head around, graciously acknowledging that it was for the best. But you didn't just separate from your pack like that. It was agony.

The morning wore on, and though Sirius would have been content watching his godson for hours, he could tell the time and effort was beginning to wear on Harry. Clearly the celebrity status he'd acquired after battling Voldemort at the Department of Mysteries translated into a plethora of fans in addition to those actually interested in trying out for the team. It seemed like some students from other houses even showed up, as Harry sent them slinking back to Hogwarts with nary a hop on the broom.

After a few hours Harry finally had his team; Sirius was pleased to see that Ron had managed to beat out a rather pompous arse of a rival for the role of Keeper, and Ginny would be a Chaser. Harry needed his friends with him at all times, to increase his protection, even during Quidditch, so Sirius was glad to have the Weasleys by his godson's side.

As the students adjourned from the field, Sirius had to resist every urge to throw up a howl and get Harry's attention. It would be so easy to just grab Buckbeak from Hagrid, talk Harry into joining him, and give Albus Dumbledore the finger as they flew by his tower office. Hell, he'd even fly to Highbury and scoop up Colleen and Ben from the park. Buckbeak would have them all halfway across the world before the Muggles could get their act together to file a report. It wasn't as if stranger things hadn't happened in the news in the past few weeks.