Chapter 42 - Countdown: Portal Minus One Minute

This is sheer lunacy, Trueth thought.

Iseret had joined her and Seisi at the broken pedestal. Metjen was approaching slowly, he kept looking backwards, where Gebu and Khafa dragged Nebmutef towards the other Servants and the provisions.

Metjen still was not coming—no, he moved and there he was.

Iseret grabbed Seisi's hand, he took Trueth's, and she regarded him uneasily. I don't want to do this!

An electric jolt shot through her body and Iseret glared at her from across the pedestal. Trueth's hand grabbed Metjen's, Iseret snatched Metjen's other hand, and the circle was closed.

Metjen!  Tears burning in her throat, Trueth noticed a breeze, a wind—a howling gale blowing through the chamber, blasting away those things that should never have been. The gust caused dresses and kilts to flap wildly as people held on to each other. A brackish smell of emptiness and long-dead flowers rose as dust, sadness and loss got carried on the storm that still gathered in power. With a flash, the light went out completely, followed by a rumbling thunder.

Only the glow from behind them remained and grew, pulsated and got lighter in colour—from deep purple to violet, to dark blue, sea blue, crystal—and the portal exploded with light.

====

The portal is opening, I hope you can spare a second to vote, thank you so much!

DEAR ALL - THE FINAL CHAPTERS OF THIS NOVEL (there are seven more after this one) ARE PRIVATE AND ONLY AVAILABLE TO MY FOLLOWERS. This is a security measure due to the mirror sites operating outside Wattpad and illegally copying content. Just follow me and you can read. You can unfollow me afterwards, this is not a ruse to get more followers but an attempt at stopping others from stealing my stories. Any questions - just send me a PM. Thank you for your understanding.